It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:03 am

Post subject: Multiclass - rogue possible ranger.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:19 am 

Greetings everyone.

Mostly had some questions when it comes to builds and multiclassing. I have read over most of the multiclass threads in this forum so far in hopes it was already answered.

I was thinking of running a multiclass of rogue --> ranger. Currently am a ranged rogue and most of the questions. I also have to lose 3 feats and a 4th if I want the class ability (prime shot). I couldn't find out about quarry and whether or not I get that once I multi over.

Also wondered if there were any other options as far as multi'n that I haven't really read in PHB1, MP1, MP2. Seems they have a lot of dungeon magazines but wasn't sure if they have since made any additional changes to it.

Post subject: Re: Multiclass - rogue possible ranger.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:08 pm 

Some of this depends on whether your DM would allow you to rebuild your character completely or if you have to do this through normal level advancement using what you already have. If the former, you might be interested in the Hybrid option in PH3 which is more similar to the old version of multiclassing. Other options to contemplate include the Essentials Thief which uses a Shortbow, and the Elf race, which gives you access to bows as a Rogue weapon (Treetop Sniper in MP2). What exactly are you looking to gain by becoming more Rangery?

Warrior of the Wild (PH1) gives you Hunter's Quarry once per encounter. It's a very nice feat by itself, giving you an extra skill and allowing you to take Ranger Feats in the future - Manticore's Fury (MP2) can be very nice for a Rogue. I don't know what feat you are talking about that would give you Prime Shot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:47 am 

Emily Dickinson wrote:
Some of this depends on whether your DM would allow you to rebuild your character completely or if you have to do this through normal level advancement using what you already have. If the former, you might be interested in the Hybrid option in PH3 which is more similar to the old version of multiclassing. Other options to contemplate include the Essentials Thief which uses a Shortbow, and the Elf race, which gives you access to bows as a Rogue weapon (Treetop Sniper in MP2). What exactly are you looking to gain by becoming more Rangery?

Warrior of the Wild (PH1) gives you Hunter's Quarry once per encounter. It's a very nice feat by itself, giving you an extra skill and allowing you to take Ranger Feats in the future - Manticore's Fury (MP2) can be very nice for a Rogue. I don't know what feat you are talking about that would give you Prime Shot.

Well the rogue is currently level 4 already.

Brutal scoundrel w/feats
backstabber
treetop sniper
slaying action

What I looked at in the ranger spec is they have some nice interupts and multi targeting range shots. Plus potentially tacking on quiver to backstab damage (not much but always a plus :P)

If I did it I think I would be most sad about having to put off weapon expertise and initiative boost.

Though essentially I could just take a few powers out of rangers also I suppose as compared to a full multiclass and lose my paragon.

Hard hard decision :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:01 am 

well.... thats a great option for a great RP and usefull striker.
basicly you have a few options:
1. hybrid - i am against for a few resons - in the end you are with nothing cause you tried to grab to much... (no querry on rouge no sneak on ranger)

2. main rouge with ranger multiclass - this option i know little of, i played the other part:

3. ranger with rouge MC - this is a great power build - stealth utilities , twin strike, sneak 1/round, hide in plain sight (MC power swap) and so on ... since dex go well on archers - it pays of... take a "beast master" and you even have a "wall" infornt of you or ultimate flanks with the wolf

4. you can be a full rouge, and half elf and take twin stikes .... that will make you ... godly at lvl 11 +

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:04 am 

Alright so had some more questions and since its pretty much the same topic figured it would be bad to make another thread.

Being that I am going to go towards ranger by time I get 10 (lvl 6, 8, and 10 feats going toward it) do I actually get a paragon path or is there a way to get a paragon path? Or do I need to take ranger as a class and pick the abilities in ranger spec? If I have to just pick the abilities are they allowed to come from paragon specs?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:41 am 

At level 11, you get to pick a Paragon Path. If you have one multiclass feat that qualifies you as a Ranger (such as Warrior of the Wild), you may pick any Ranger Paragon Path, unless that Path has some other requirement that you do not meet.

I'm not sure what you mean by abilities and specs in this context. Please clarify.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:56 pm 

Emily Dickinson wrote:
At level 11, you get to pick a Paragon Path. If you have one multiclass feat that qualifies you as a Ranger (such as Warrior of the Wild), you may pick any Ranger Paragon Path, unless that Path has some other requirement that you do not meet.

I'm not sure what you mean by abilities and specs in this context. Please clarify.

Nah I think you pretty much answered most of it in your statement though my questions were pretty badly worded being that I was pretty tired when I posted it.

As per the books in order to pick future abilities in ranger (im guessing they refer to when you level up you can pick out of ranger side also) you need the level 4, 8, 10 multiclass feats (power swaps).

However so your saying in order to pick up a paragon path of a ranger all I would need is Warrior of the wild (as far as ranger requirement goes). I just thought you needed to do the power swaps and that allowed you to do it meaning using up 3 feats for it or is that strictly to be able to pick out ranger powers in future levels?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:57 am 

There is a thing in the Player's Handbook called "Paragon Multiclassing" in which you take more powers from your 2nd class instead of taking a normal Paragon Path, and for that you do need all 4 multiclass feats to qualify. What I was talking about was taking an ordinary Ranger Paragon Path, for which you only need Warrior of the Wild.

If you want Paragon Multiclassing, I would recommend creating your character at Level 20, once with full multiclassing, and once with minimal multiclassing, just to make sure you understand what the alternative might look like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:04 am 

Emily Dickinson wrote:
There is a thing in the Player's Handbook called "Paragon Multiclassing" in which you take more powers from your 2nd class instead of taking a normal Paragon Path, and for that you do need all 4 multiclass feats to qualify. What I was talking about was taking an ordinary Ranger Paragon Path, for which you only need Warrior of the Wild.

If you want Paragon Multiclassing, I would recommend creating your character at Level 20, once with full multiclassing, and once with minimal multiclassing, just to make sure you understand what the alternative might look like.

Sadly I just misread a ton of things when I first started setting up the class. It makes the idea of multiclass much better actually. Instead of the 3 feats and 1 additional for class benefit its only one for class benefit that allows you to become that class as far as requirements go. Though there is a swap or two I might take either way because they would make my character better overall.