It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Post subject: Character requests
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:54 pm 

Mostly the thing I was going to ask of the forums is I am working towards adding some things to a type of campaign I will likely be running soon once in a while. I was looking for ideas as to some character builds that would be good for said campaign.

Some requirements of those characters is that it has to be totally self sufficient and doesn't focus on helping others. As an example a warlord would be bad in that most of its strength is through boosting others while pretty much any striker would be good.

Any help on it would be great. Though the characters are capped off at level 5 with no hopes of progress beyond that.

Thanks for any replies :)

Post subject: Re: Character requests
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 pm 

Any other requirements, such as stat building... Point-buy system...? Book restrictions?

Also, I don't have access to a character builder, but could type everything up for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:06 pm 

It may be worth considering whether 4e is the best system for this campaign, since it is probably the most teamwork-oriented RPG I've ever seen or heard of.

Having said that, the important things for a solo character are:

Range - A character with only Ranged or only Melee Attacks could be at a disadvantage. Having access to Area or Burst attacks can also be extremely helpful.

Mobility - Being able to get towards or get away, especially if you don't have Range versatility.

Defense - Simply having high defenses is very useful, of course, but also access to self-healing (such as Dwarves), Temporary Hit Points, and just having a lot of Hit Points.

Rogues (certainly including Thieves), Sorcerors (including the new Elementalists), Monks, Hexblades (and possibly Infernal Pact Warlocks), and Barbarians all seem like viable options. You could also consider the PH2 Druid.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:03 am 

spamd16 wrote:
Any other requirements, such as stat building... Point-buy system...? Book restrictions?

Also, I don't have access to a character builder, but could type everything up for you...

Though its appreciated its not entirely needed to do it for me :P. Usually we go by all the books released for 4E thus far. Mostly just looking for the really basic build of different classes as compared to a completely done character.

Emily Dickinson wrote:
It may be worth considering whether 4e is the best system for this campaign, since it is probably the most teamwork-oriented RPG I've ever seen or heard of.

Having said that, the important things for a solo character are:

Range - A character with only Ranged or only Melee Attacks could be at a disadvantage. Having access to Area or Burst attacks can also be extremely helpful.

Mobility - Being able to get towards or get away, especially if you don't have Range versatility.

Defense - Simply having high defenses is very useful, of course, but also access to self-healing (such as Dwarves), Temporary Hit Points, and just having a lot of Hit Points.

Rogues (certainly including Thieves), Sorcerors (including the new Elementalists), Monks, Hexblades (and possibly Infernal Pact Warlocks), and Barbarians all seem like viable options. You could also consider the PH2 Druid.

Though I do agree about 4E being very teamwork oriented I still am pretty limited on my knowledge of a number of systems as I have recently got back into gaming a short time ago :). Mostly I was just sticking with a system that I am already familiar with for the time and have access to all the books so that I don't have to buy another set for another game.

Might look at Elementalist which I had a storm build in our last one and he was kind of a beast. An infernal lock won last event so have one of those made. Monk and Hexblade are probably 2 I could add. Also haven't made any druids yet...

As there are usually several builds of each class are there any that you think would be particularly good for monks/hexblade/druid?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 am 

I don't have a strong opinion on the builds for those classes, just try to get a balance between At-Wills - a Monk with two Melee 1 Attacks could be overwhelmed by a group, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:45 am 

I'll go for a Warlock, either Star Pact or Infernal (though a Tiefling can be both). CON-based is good for HPs and heavy armour; INT as a secondary stat gives some good controller abilities; and CHA as a tertiary stat helps round out all your NADs.

Eldritch Strike is a very good melee attack (and as a melee basic attack you don't have to worry about pumping strength), and Warlocks have plenty of ranged, area and close blast spells to chose from, which covers most scenarios.

The Infernal Pact Boon also adds Temp HPs, which helps self-sufficiency, and while Warlock's Curse may not be rated as highly as other Striker bonus damage abilities, it doesn't require anyone else to help you get combat advantage (ie, Rogue) and you can Curse multiple things as you move around, making you more flexible.

Warlocks...best Striker in the game!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:47 pm 

@tinkin

Yep the warlock in last one won pretty easily without using the special items given to each player at the start of the session.

@Emily

Ya monk was added to my list for the next set of characters that will be added in the next one.

@everyone else

Appreciated so far on the information as its something that I been brainstorming on. Have 8 characters already done currently and will likely have to add 5 more characters by next session and probably try for about 5 more for each after until I get a pretty large amount of characters to play with. Though as mentioned by emily 4th edition can sometimes be difficult in this area as many of the characters work together a bit. Still not familiar enough with many other systems though to actually build up something else :/