It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Post subject: Winterkin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:10 am 

I'm creating a Shadar-kai Rogue with a wizard multiclass... I noticed that the Winterkin racial trait appears typed when I select the race, but doesn't add the +1 Fort bonus to my actual Fort defense up top. Is there a reason for this, or is it a bug?

Post subject: Re: Winterkin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:13 am 

I don't think there is a reason for that. Play around with the character a little, and if you can't get the Fort bonus to show up, report it on the Spreadsheet thread to make sure one of the fabulous volunteers to that project sees it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:08 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I played around with it a little more and still no luck, so I made sure to post it on the spreadsheet thread.

While we're on the subject of Shaddar-kai though, I do have sort of a tangent question about Shadar-kai character creation:

With the reintroduction of the Shadar-kai race in the Dragon Magazine Annual, it seems the Shadar-kai are now an actual PC race. Am I to assume then, that they are no longer to be considered a "monster" race?

I have this huge, cumulative list of feats going on excel that I update for personal use, and I was debating whether or not to just copy-paste the Shadar-Kai under the normal PC heading along with the Eladrin and Humans and such... The answer to this question could also help me better perceive the Shadar-kai race for PC/NPC creation in general.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:19 pm 

Shadar-Kai are considered a legal PC race option, unlike, for example, Bugbears, who have a "PC race" option at the back of the Monster Manual 1 but no other support as a PC race. In the end, it's always up to the DM as to what is considered legitimate, but as far as the official rules go, Shadar-Kai are in the same category as Humans and Eladrin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:44 pm 

Sweet. I figured as much... Drow probably are full legal too by now, eh? I kinda' wanted to pull together a band of "non-supported" NPC antagonists from the various Monster Manuals. I wouldn't want to include any in that group though, and later find one or two of them to be legitimate PC types. That would be corny...

So which of the monster manual races have so far never gotten full PC support?

And if you can be troubled even further, which sources can I find certain supported races in, likesay the Drow and such?

Also, I have read and fully comprehended the Dhampyr "multi-race" rules in the Dragon Mag Annual (confounded as that mechanic is) and I was wondering if there have been other "bloodline" race additions, such as werewolves perhaps...

Any clarification that anyone can bring to these questions would be well appreciated. A special nod to Khime and Emily. You people sure know your stuff! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:10 pm 

Browsing through the DnD Insider Compendium, here's a listing of everything their database considers a 'race', along where their write-ups can be found. Note that some races are listed multiple times, so usually the most recent source has the most up-to-date information on that race.

Player's Handbook (June 2008): Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, Tiefling
Dragon Magazine 367 (September 2008): Gnoll
Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (September 2008): Drow, Genasi
Manual of the Planes (December 2008): Bladeling

Dragon Magazine 372 (February 2009): Shadar-kai
Player's Handbook 2 (March 2009): Deva, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Longtooth Shifter, Razorclaw Shifter
Dragon Magazine 376 (June 2009): Revenant
Eberron Player's Guide (June 2009): Changeling, Kalashtar, Warforged

Player's Handbook 3 (March 2010): Githzerai, Minotaur, Shardmind, Wilden
Dark Sun Campaign Setting (August 2010): Mul, Thri-Kreen
Heroes of the Fallen Lands (September 2010): Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Halfling, Human
Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms (November 2010): Dragonborn, Drow, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Human, Tiefling

Heroes of Shadow (April 2011): Revenant, Shade, Vryloka
Neverwinter Campaign Setting (August 2011): Gold Dwarf, Moon Elf (Eladrin), Shield Dwarf, Sun Elf (Eladrin), Wild Elf, Wood Elf
Dragon Magazine 404 (October 2011): Hengeyokai
Dragon Magazine 405 (November 2011): Llewyrr Elf
Heroes of the Feywild (November 2011): Hamadryad, Pixie, Satyr

The Dungeon Survival Handbook (May 2012): Goblin, Kobold, Svirfneblin

Also, here are the 'monster' races that never got an official write-up outside of their respective Monster Manual appendicies:

Monster Manual (June 2008): Bugbear, Githyanki, Hobgoblin, Orc
Monster Manual 2 (May 2009): Bullywug, Duergar, Kenku

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:18 am 

...and finally, the upcoming The Dungeon Survival Handbook will be giving PC status to Goblins, Kobolds, and Svirfneblin, knocking those first two races off the "Monsters only" list. Yes, you can finally be Splug.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:28 am 

Emily Dickinson wrote:
...and finally, the upcoming The Dungeon Survival Handbook will be giving PC status to Goblins, Kobolds, and Svirfneblin, knocking those first two races off the "Monsters only" list. Yes, you can finally be Splug.
I didn't even think to look at upcoming products. Nifty!

I've updated my original reply to include these new options (in case I ever want to point someone to this message in the future).

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:28 pm 

WOW! I have the manual of the planes and I would still never have noticed the bladeling unless you had said something, khime! Out-doing yourselves again (and each other, in concert, it seems!)

That is a nifty list for reference, Khime. Good call. Thanks guys!

Who is Splug? I'd rather be Golem from LOTR.

Well, it seems I underestimated the standards on what races could eventually be considered PCs. I never guessed that the goblin or gnoll would make the cut... and those would be relatively central characters if I were to pursue my original vision for a "monsters only" group. As usual, I guess the DM must create to his own standards.

But seriously, I woulda' thought the Githyanki had a much better shot than a goblin, right? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 pm 

GoliathAssassin84 wrote:
But seriously, I woulda' thought the Githyanki had a much better shot than a goblin, right? :roll:
Githzerai from PHB3 and Githyanki are basically the same race, but split along ideological lines.

Also, just because a race has a full-fledged write-up as a PC class doesn't mean they have to be universally loved and accepted everywhere in a given campaign world. And it doesn't mean you have to allow your players access to them as PCs. You can just say "No, Drow can't be PCs" and still have some as NPC badguys.