It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:13 am

Post subject: Need help deciding on a class/race
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:53 pm 

Hi guys. I am fairly new to 4e as the only campaign I played lasted a small cave/mine homebrew that has ended due to GM priority changes. I have been messing with the character spread sheet, so I am getting a hang of most of the basics.

The issue I have is that our group has normally 4 or 5 core players and a few stragglers. Our current DM has limited our characters to the 3 phb's and we have to fill the 4 roles before we can have multiples of them, and everyone else is dropping the ball on communicating their choices. So, being the nice guy of the group, I need a character able to deal with those stragglers being there and not being there. If you guys have any advice that could help, even if its to stop being nice and do what I want, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Need help deciding on a class/race
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:39 pm 

There's nothing wrong with being a nice guy in D&D - it's a cooperative game. You are certainly free to do whatever you want, and you should probably have some idea of what your limits are - if the game becomes more trouble than it's worth, you don't owe them your helpful presence.

If you have the time and the inclination, build two solid characters and be prepared to play either. The most reliably useful roles are Striker and Leader, so one each of those is about as much as you can do to be prepared to help the group and fill any hole, given the overall lack of communication. If there is a role that particularly appeals to you, obviously you should create a character of that role first.

If you would like specific help on building one or more characters, we'd be happy to make suggestions or offer constructive criticism of anything you put up here.

Hopefully this campaign will be a little smoother once it gets going. Have Fun!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:35 am 

I would say first you have to decide what kind of role you like play ?
Do you like hack and slash or do you like puzzels and scemes. What type of character do you identify with, I usualy ask a player what kind of movies or movie characters they like. This translates easy to a typical character.

But I agree with Emily, write up two you like and if you want to surprise the other party members go for something less obvious, something not suggested in the PHB like a thiefling cleric of a good alignment this is also good roleplaying.

You can also suggest to your DM and other party members to go for a theme party. Like a all Eldarin party who are all from the same village and are hunting down, or searching for a surtain person or object. This binds the party more and you will have surtain strengths and weaknesses, but hey weaknesses are to be overcome that is part of the adventure. And it will challange the DM more to create specific adventures.

Chi pecora si fa, il lupo mangia.

Wishes are premonitions of things you are capable or realizing.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:58 am 

Thanks for the input guys.

Our world is set up with an adventurers guild that controls the quests for the most part, and the races native to the continent are limited to those in phb 1. I finally got some input from the group so it looks like the two I will prepare are a defender and a striker.

As for the defender, I kinda liked a Wilden Battlemind. I like the class itself and also that, not being native to the continent, my character would be forced to have a very unique backstory. I think with a wilden that I should go Resilient Battlemind as per the phb 3. Any suggestions beyond what the book has?

As for the striker, I was thinking a Dragonborn Thaneborn Barbarian. I like the breath weapon, and I like taking large weapons and smashing stuff to bits. :)

Any do's and don'ts would be great. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:45 pm 

I'm not familiar with all the PHB's but a Dragonborn Thaneborn Barbarian that smashes up stuff sounds more like defender. Strikers are Rangers, Warlock's and Roque's. From those I would choose a Warlock.

But Emily is more up to speed on that maybe she can/will comment

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:08 pm 

Well, if you insist...

Barbarians are indeed Strikers (smashing up not only stuff but all who stand in their way), and Dragonborn Thaneborn is very effective. They do great damage and can be a lot of fun, but they can get hit a lot. To be a good team player, Barbarians need to stick close to Defenders and within 5 squares of Leaders, and pay attention to their Hit Points, even though it can be tempting to charge on ahead. For Dragonborn, having a few points in your Constitution makes a real difference, since you get that Healing Surge bonus.

Wilden Resilient Battlemind is a little trickier to play - read Battlemind's Demand, Blurred Step, and Mind Spike (and the rules for Immediate Reactions and Opportunity Attacks) very carefully. Since using Destroyer or Hunter for an Ally would keep you from using Mind Spike, and you may not always use a close attack every encounter, Destroyer for your own personal defense is probably your best use of your racial power. I would also recommend taking the Burden of Rejuvenation feat (PH3) and saving your Destroyer for the end of most fights, just in case - it's particularly useful since you have Healing Surges coming out of your weedy ears.

I haven't mentioned anything yet about role playing or backstory - not because it's not important, but because it's not as easy to give advice about...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:59 pm 

Thank you Emily

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:33 pm 

Wow Emily! You made my brain skip a round when I read your post.

As for the Battlemind, the things I need to be consciously aware of are how close to the end of the battle we are, how close I will be to marked targets, and the other players health so I know which round to use my racial in so as to not use my racial over mind spike to early, preventing me from using mind spike during that enemies round. If that doesn't make sense, my brain must still be in a readied brain fart mode.

As for the Barbarian, I think I'll have fun with that one. I played one in 3.5e and loved it so I'm glad that isn't a terrible choice efficiency wise.

As soon as I hear from our DM as to whether we are rolling for stats or point buying, I'll get the spreadsheets done up and post them to make sure I didn't screw up anywhere.

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:29 am 

I might be a little late in saying something, but... Ever since I began DMing with just my wife, I've found that the defender role is nearly indispensable, and so is the leader role. You will obviously have the benefit of many players, so you are not necessarily locked into the two best survival roles.

But with all respect to Emily's mention of Striker as an important role, I've noticed that nearly everyone likes to be one type of striker or another, making it not so important to have to "cover" in large groups.

Since My wife is the only player character, Leader seemed like the most obvious role for her, so we could both get healing. She's a Warlord with a good mix of Melee and range, (with beefy, rolled stats in both) and it works pretty well. For my companion NPC, I play a Paladin with high CON and CHA. Even though Paladins are technically defenders (and awesomely good at it too) They can almost do half the Leader role through Lay On Hands. In our two-person campaign, that frees her up a lot to get into the action, without having to be a designated medic. (That would be terrible to have to be designated medic in a campaign where you are the only player, eh?)

But that is just what works best in our case, since we have to place survivablity above all else, being just the two of us. In your campaign, a Striker might be a great choice (if just a very, very popular one.) If I were to pick only two types of characters to play, though... especially not knowing what other players will pick, I'd make a Leader and a Defender, perhaps one with powers and/or stats that help them fill both roles to a certain extent.

So far, it looks to me like Controller is the only role that is entirely optional no matter how the campaign or party is shaping up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:52 am 

Howdy folks. I finally got some feedback from the rest of my group. I am slotted to the defender role. If the other people don't show up, myself and another consistent member will be grabbing their character sheets and playing for them.

So, the question I now pose, is what defender class should I choose. I like the idea of a wilden battlemind, but the fact stands that I may not be able to keep track of everything that goes along with that combo. Any suggestions?