It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need help deciding on a class/race
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:27 am 

Use something physical and unique for your Power Points, like pennies. Keep the Aspect of the Destroyer full time. Don't beat yourself up if you miss some things on the first session. Have Fun!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 pm 

Well, I have to say that after looking it over, a Wilden Resilient Battlemind looks like a really interesting choice for a character. I may have to play one myself next time I get the Defender slot with my local group. Definitely looks worth playing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:56 pm 

As for equipment for my battlemind, the phb3 recommends heavy armor, which is fine, I can deal with that. It doesn't have any recommendations for weapons though. I'm going to make the character like the typical crazy villager that left in search of adventure, and ended up on our campaigns continent, so weapon type really isn't set in terms of role play. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 am 

For mechanical advantage, swords are the best weapons - either a Rapier or a Longsword in your main hand with a Heavy Shield in your off hand.

The other options that are slightly less than perfect include Flail, Battleaxe, and Warhammer (with a Shield) or Greatsword, Maul, Heavy War Pick, Heavy Flail, and Greataxe (without a Shield). If one of those options suits your idea of your character, go for it.

Roleplaying Ideas... If you are likely to be both the only Battlemind and the only Wilden in the campaign world, I would suggest making the most of that by describing your Class in Racial terms - most of your Battlemind Powers and Features can be described either in terms of Ent-Strength (possibly with roots and vines involved - the image of roots goes a long way in terms of explaining why this Battlemind fights so much better than his "Strength" for activities like lifting and jumping) or as a kind of fey/primal/elemental connection with everything...

Oh. I just realized - this is Swamp Thing, isn't it? If you haven't already, go read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing comics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:49 am 

A Wilden anything sounds like a complicated character for someone who has major responsibility in keeping the game running. (Still, I already have a Wilden designed, so I should take my own advice I guess... but I planned to use him in non-combat more than anything.)

As stated previously, Paladins can act as good stand-in medics when the chips are really down. But Battleminds are also very sweet, and I've considered making one from a couple different racial builds. The battlemind in PHB3 looks very metallic and pointy, but it shouldn't have to be that way. I created a Wilden Warden (with a dutch accent) who fights with a shield and longspear combo. It seems to me that Wildens should typically favor simpler weapons with more primal roots, that incorporate wood in their design. Maybe even a flail or whip made with feywild vines for visual effect. But do what you think is true to your character.

And YES, Swamp Thing RULES!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 am 

'84 - Good point, I was also thinking about all of his equipment being made out of wood. It's important to remember that a change like that isn't "real" unless the DM wants it to be - he'll be as vulnerable to Rust Monsters as everyone else, for example, but most of the time it really doesn't matter whether Scale Armour is steel or bark.

I don't know what you mean about a complicated character who has major responsibility in keeping the game running, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 am 

I think he means that I have responsibility as a player, not the character. The battlemind was going to have some many things to track to be good and if I have to take another players character if they don't show up, I would drop the ball with both characters. Thus I have changed my mind to a Goliath Earth Warden. I'm almost done with the sheet, just need a name. Any suggestions? Once I have a name I'll post it for critique.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:56 pm 

Lol, when I think of Goliath names, I think of Crush, Smash, and Rock! I once played alongside a goliath pc who went for full unarmed combat. He named his goliath Adnor, after his wife, Ronda. She's such a sweet lady. :D

OH! OH, OH, OH!!! What about naming a Goliath Andre? or Vessig? Hahah!

On a side note, is it normal for people to play the characters of the party members who aren't there? I just keep hearing phantom arguments of "I wouldn't have done that" upon their return...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:42 pm 

HAHA! We think alike Goliath. I brought that up in our discussions, and the other two leaders in the group said that they can't complain because they didn't show. Besides, myself and the other cover man are the most likely to actually follow what the character would do.

I like Andre for 2 reasons: first is the obvious homage to the Giant himself. second is its almost my name hehe :) Thanks for the great idea. I'm going to use it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:39 am 

WWF wins out over Princess Bride I see. Andre the Goliath it is! lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next