It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:43 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need help deciding on a class/race
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:02 pm 

GoliathAssassin84 wrote:
On a side note, is it normal for people to play the characters of the party members who aren't there? I just keep hearing phantom arguments of "I wouldn't have done that" upon their return...
Really depends on the campaign, the group, and/or the DM. I don't think there's something considered 'normal' or standard. Some of it might be impacted by how XP is handled in your game - using the normal 4E rules, players in a party gain XP at an equal rate, so one character missing out on a fight won't hurt their XP gains. In other editions, or using alternate XP rules, being absent slows down your leveling, so it is advantageous for the character to still somehow 'be there' even when the player is not.

One game I play in, players who can't make it have their characters 'fade into the background', or otherwise become in-world absent for some reason - their horse throws a shoe and they fall back a ways, they're out scouting in one direction while we get ambushed, etc.

Another game I play in, the DM allows absent player's characters to be there in an NPC/DM-controlled capacity, at very reduced effectiveness, but also without any danger to the absent PC. So a missing healer might be represented by us having access to an extra healing potion for one encounter, or a missing striker might be represented by an added encounter power for the defender. Or if one of the players present is already playing the same role as the missing character (or the DM knows that they know that class like the back of their hand), that player might be asked to run both their own and the missing character, with the provision that any roleplayed interactions that "I would have done X if I were there." can be retcon'd to have somehow happened anyway.

A third game I play in, absent players mean that not only are their characters absent, they've never even been part of the party! Nobody questions their absence, because nobody is aware of an absence. Next session, when that player returns, their character has always been there, and had participated fully in the prior session's adventures, since of course they were there along with us all along.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:30 pm 

Yeah, we are going to use the same method as your second example. We have 2 players that are familiar enough with everything to run those that are not actually present. The last option would be nice, except then whatever encounters our dm makes are going to be for the full party.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:39 pm 

Which file types are allowed as attachments, because I couldn't upload the spreadsheet or the pdf I have for my build?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:34 pm 

GoliathAssassin84 wrote:
WWF wins out over Princess Bride I see. Andre the Goliath it is! lol

But andre was a gentle giant, even in the Princess Bride.

Another good Giant "Bombaata" (Wilt Chaimberlain) with a two handed morningstar.

Chi pecora si fa, il lupo mangia.

Wishes are premonitions of things you are capable or realizing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:33 am 

When someone is absent for our 2E game, they become in-world absent too. They are considered to be lagging too far behind to really worry about for whatever reason. Whenever someone walks into his front room, they are allowed to catch up, but never in a "perfect" way. Usually whatever way the DM decides.

@Rand: Lol, I think... NBA is a little foggy for me. Not much of a sports fan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 am 

Shame on you, '84, for not recognizing Chamberlain's role as an actor in one of the most disappointing fantasy sequels ever (not as bad as Highlander 2 but still pretty wretched).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:43 pm 

Emily Dickinson wrote:
Shame on you, '84, for not recognizing Chamberlain's role as an actor in one of the most disappointing fantasy sequels ever (not as bad as Highlander 2 but still pretty wretched).

Disappointing ??? Bad yes, cheesy yes, a (very) weak follow up after the barbarian but a cult status none the less. right up there with say "the barbarians" (with eva la rue in one of her first features as Kara)
At the time those movies where something never done before. Now we look upon then differently. but I do agree with You Shame on '84 !

Chi pecora si fa, il lupo mangia.

Wishes are premonitions of things you are capable or realizing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:40 pm 

When we have players absent, the other players will play their characters...we're familiar enough with each others characters that we can handle the combat side of things okay. For the non-combat elements of a session, they'll either merge into the background (for those non-character-specific things), or they'll be played in absentia for that too.

Our DMs put a lot of effort in preparing for a session, with 5 characters in mind, and having to re-tweak things at the last minute because two players didn't turn up doesn't make for a good session for anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:06 am 

zeek13579 wrote:
The last option would be nice, except then whatever encounters our dm makes are going to be for the full party.
Well, the last option requires a DM who is able/willing to adjust encounters on the fly, adding/removing monsters or tweaking powers/abilities in response to the number of players who show up. A very good DM can do this without you even noticing that the encounter would have been any different otherwise.

Of course, if a player is going to be absent, notifying the DM more than 10 minutes before play begins also helps. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:34 pm 

Randraugir wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:

Disappointing ??? Bad yes, cheesy yes, a (very) weak follow up after the barbarian but a cult status none the less. right up there with say "the barbarians" (with eva la rue in one of her first features as Kara)
At the time those movies where something never done before. Now we look upon then differently. but I do agree with You Shame on '84 !

I don't even know what movie you guys are talking about! Is it possible that this sequel was so bad that I just never saw it? Or even knew it existed? And if that is the case, then why should I be shamed for being lucky enough to not have to endure such a terrible pile-o-crap movie? Now I'm gonna' have to Google Wilt Chamberlain... you guys suck for helping me stay lazy. :|

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next