It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Post subject: DnD Insider
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:43 am 

I was thinking of trying DnD Insider. Is it worth the monthly fee, or is it just a waste of money? Also does anyone know of a list of all official 4e sources, kind of like what this site has, but just a list so I can use it to get my hands on everything?

Post subject: Re: DnD Insider
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:46 pm 

I use DnD Insider mostly for the Compendium and the Character Builder, which gives me access to a complete and updated database of all current character options across all sources, even those I've not purchased. I also like having access to the 4E archives of the Dragon and Dungeon magazines.

In the Compendium you can search for feats/powers/creatures/items/etc, and those searches can be filtered by source, so that is one way to get a listing of the 'official' sources. One of the users over at EN World also maintains a complete list of official 4E D&D products; that might be worth perusing.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:48 pm 

There's also another user who maintains a 4th Edition Collector's Guide, which is another listing organized by category instead of release date, and includes informational links as to where to purchase most of the material listed.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:32 pm 

I subscribed for two years and was quite happy with the content, especially the Character Builder. The way they changed from the old downloadable Character Builder to the new online-only Character Builder (including a lengthy time without updates while I was patiently waiting for PH3 and Dark Sun and kept being told it was almost ready) left a bad taste in my mouth, but I admit that it does make sense for any regular group to include at least one subscription, unless you are both content with the content you have in hard copy and also happy to fill out your own Character Sheets by hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:40 pm 

I used it to recreate my warden, and it works great. I then used it to create a battlemind with all the bells and whistles (background stuff) and was impressed with the amount of info it helps take care of. I just wish it had a place for a character description or background text box, instead of the mannerisms, and personality traits ones, because they limit the characters for text, and make it hard to fit everything in.