It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Post subject: how do you handle powers?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:14 am 

Do you just write the name, then look it up, or write the power descriptions down on the sheet? Which is easier?

Post subject: Re: how do you handle powers?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:50 am 

If you're using the traditional D&D 4E character sheet, I would just put the names of the powers on the sheet, and then have a separate sheet fully explaining the power (what modifiers it uses, what defense it attacks, keywords, hit/miss/effects/etc). Having all the math calculated on the sheet is very useful as well, so you're not having to figure out all of your bonuses every time you want to make an attack. For example, you could have each power written out like so:

Booming Blade: Melee, +19 vs AC, Hit: 1d8+8 thunder, if target starts it's next turn adjacent and moves away, it takes an additional 1d6+6 thunder.
Sword Burst: Close Burst 1 (each enemy), +16 vs Reflex, Hit: 1d6+8 force.
Lingering Lightning (DAILY): Range 5 (up to 3 creatures), +16 vs Ref, Hit: 1d8+8 lightning plus Ongoing 5 lightning (Save Ends), Miss: Half damage, no ongoing.

Another solution is to have each power on a separate 'power card' that you can refer to during combat, with all the math already worked out. There are several programs around that can generate power cards, or you can simply write them out on index cards. This method has the added bonus that as encounter/daily powers are used, you can turn them over or otherwise set them aside until they refresh.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:26 pm 

Exactly so, Khime. Write them out in full with the math done - the format is not so important (although I agree that index cards are very nice) but you should absolutely not be going back to the book and recalculating every time you use a Power.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:13 am 

Since most of my manuals are in .pdf format, I build a sheet with all my powers on them in Gimp.

I make a page large enough to hold two rows of powers with some space in the middle, similar to a regular handbook. Then I copy the powers from the manual and save them as individual .pngs, pasting them from there onto my powers sheet (be sure to save them as new layers!). I then make a little chart next to each one, like so:

Attachment:
Glance Attack Chart.png
Glance Attack Chart.png [ 1.99 KB | Viewed 2955 times ]

Spaces are intentionally left blank because weapons, dice and numbers are prone to change as I level up. I pencil them in once the sheet is printed out.

Of course, some powers do not involve dice and/or work in conjunction with a primary/secondary attack. In which case I place two charts next to a power, and/or edit the text as needed before printing.

And to add a professional flair, I take the gold text from the edge of the Race/Class pages and combine them on the edge of my power sheet (e.g. Eladrin Fighter) on both sides (even if side two is blank).

EDIT: Oh yes. For encounter and Daily powers, I place little checkboxes next to them, whose… function should be obvious. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:55 pm 

Emily Dickinson wrote:
Exactly so, Khime. Write them out in full with the math done - the format is not so important (although I agree that index cards are very nice) but you should absolutely not be going back to the book and recalculating every time you use a Power.
One of my games has one player who has all the powers written down, but only with the text straight from the book - and he counts up bonuses every. single. time. :evil: I just wanna rip his sheet from him and force him to write down the applicable bonuses next to the powers that use them.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:06 pm 

Sort of similar to president I just use mspaint and screen image it and put them altogether as a reference. As my character levels I just make new sheets each time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:22 pm 

Khime wrote:
One of my games has one player who has all the powers written down, but only with the text straight from the book - and he counts up bonuses every. single. time. :evil: I just wanna rip his sheet from him and force him to write down the applicable bonuses next to the powers that use them.

Why not do just that? It's not fair for the rest of the party if encounters get bogged down because he's calculating five different bonuses every time it's his turn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 am 

I use the dungeon cards from dungeon crawl... then again I work at at print shop, so our whole group uses the dungeon cards - cuz I print them for us all ;)