It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 263  Next
 Post subject: Re: Excel Spreadsheet
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:19 pm 

Level12DungeonMaster wrote:
I've seen the sheet and it is a quality piece of work. But personally I feel that DND wouldn't be DND unless you had a scribbled on and rubbed out piece of paper you could barely call a character sheet. :P

From a DND purists standpoint I agree with you. But from the "not able to read my own horrible, prescription quality scrawl" stand point, I'm glad the electronic age is here. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:26 am 

keaven wrote:
Ron R.’s sheet is fantastic… but I have one question about entering ability scores: how?

The instructions say the number in green includes racial modifiers, but the number I see there is the same before and after selecting a race. Additionally, the modifiers it puts into the abilities when selecting a race don’t stick around when I go to fill in a score. It doesn’t seem to add them together anywhere.

The cells where the scores go have a formula in them, so I wasn't sure if i was supposed to just type in there or if there was another way the scores were calculates.

Am I missing something horribly obvious?

Hi Keaven,
The green number should appear in the left hand side of the "ABILITY SCORES" title block (in the black area) only if you are making a first level character. You start with 32 points and it won't start subtracting points until you enter stats that are 8 or greater. Higher stats are more expensive than lower stats. The racial bonuses will make higher stats more affordable.
Ron R.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:19 am 

For whatever it's worth, your spreadsheet has a long list of errors when opened by Numbers (iWork 08). ;)
Not sure if it's something you can tackle fixing or not, especially since there's not many who use iWork exclusively (even I use OpenOffice and GoogleDocs in addition to iWork).
Just thought I'd let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 am 

I get an error when opening it in Excel 2007 as well; but I have Office 2003 at home, so it's all good.

Would like to see it updated with the Multiclass Feats though, but it's great as is and thanks for your efforts in creating and sharing this document.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:41 pm 

cnorman wrote:
I get an error when opening it in Excel 2007 as well; but I have Office 2003 at home, so it's all good.

Would like to see it updated with the Multiclass Feats though, but it's great as is and thanks for your efforts in creating and sharing this document.

Hi cnorman,
What kind of error are you getting in Excel 2007? I do most of my development in 2007. I then load it into 2003 then save it. When you load it into Excel 2007, it uses compatibility mode. Do you have all of your options installed? You can try running office setup to install more options.
Ron R.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:07 pm 

cnorman wrote:

I also would like to see the Multiclass Feats.
Nice job and keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:07 pm 

Crysun wrote:
cnorman wrote:

Hi cnorman,
What kind of error are you getting in Excel 2007? I do most of my development in 2007. I then load it into 2003 then save it. When you load it into Excel 2007, it uses compatibility mode. Do you have all of your options installed? You can try running office setup to install more options.
Ron R.

Ron R.,
The error I received was something to the effect of a LOOP in the function and it asked if I wanted to continue opening the document and receive help on the subject. I would click Yes and it would open. Then there was a BLUE line from the word CLASS through Paragon Path.

I can't duplicate it today and I even redownloaded the file so not sure what happened, but was kind of wierd since it opened with errors 3 seperate times yesterday.

Thanks for your efforts in getting us this sheet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:27 pm 

cnorman wrote:
Crysun wrote:
cnorman wrote:

Hi cnorman,
Ron R.

Ron R.,
The error I received was something to the effect of a LOOP in the function and it asked if I wanted to continue opening the document and receive help on the subject. I would click Yes and it would open. Then there was a BLUE line from the word CLASS through Paragon Path.

I can't duplicate it today and I even redownloaded the file so not sure what happened, but was kind of wierd since it opened with errors 3 seperate times yesterday.

Thanks for your efforts in getting us this sheet.

Ok, If anyone sees this kind of error it's because of your circular reference settings.
Here is how to enable circular reference calculations in Excel 2007.
Click on the Office Button in the upper left hand corner.
Click on Excel Options at the bottom.
Under Excel Options, click on Formulas on the left.
Under calculation options, click the "Enable iterative calculation" check box to enable it.
This should now let you use the worksheet in 2007 without any errors.
Ron R.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 am 

I just modified mine so it won't happen again. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:07 pm 

This is a great spreadsheet, really appreciate all the work! :D

I was wondering though. When I input all of my rogue's stats it comes up with my dagger melee attacks being +9: +1 half lvl, +4 abil, +1 class and +3 prof. It's using my dexterity modifier (+4) as the bonus to melee attack rolls. Am I missing a rule somewhere or should that be using the str modifier?

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 263  Next