It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 263  Next
 Post subject: Re: Excel Spreadsheet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:23 pm 

Code:
=IF(Level>=11,IF(T107=ParagonPath,IF(T107<>"Paragon Multiclass",IF(OptionClass=P107,Q107,IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107)),IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107,"")),""),"")
Yikes. Nice formula. Let's see if I understand the logic:

If Level>=11 then continue, otherwise "". If T107 = ParagonPath then continue, otherwise "". Those two conditions can be combined:
Code:
=IF(AND(Level>=11,T107=ParagonPath),[do stuff],"")
In the middle there you have:
Code:
IF(OptionClass=P107,Q107,IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107))
This will produce an output of FALSE (and not a blank) if neither OptionClass or OptionClass2 is P107. That may be impossible, not sure. But if it's possible, you need a ,"" in there as an ELSE. Plus this is basically saying "If either of these is P107, then Q107, so I'd shrink that part to:
Code:
IF(OR(OptionClass=P107,OptionClass2=P107),Q107,"")
It doesn't shrink much, but it removes one level of IFs (there's a limit to nested IFs) and improves readability.

I'm not sure how to shrink the rest, offhand, so I'd end up with only the slightly better:
Code:
=IF(AND(Level>=11,T107=ParagonPath),IF(T107<>"Paragon Multiclass",IF(OR(OptionClass=P107,OptionClass2=P107),Q107,""),IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107,"")),"")
Doesn't make it much smaller, but it cuts down on nested IFs and may make it easier to edit later... Maybe once I see it in context, a more obvious shrinkage will become apparent.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:48 pm 

Khime wrote:
Code:
=IF(Level>=11,IF(T107=ParagonPath,IF(T107<>"Paragon Multiclass",IF(OptionClass=P107,Q107,IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107)),IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107,"")),""),"")
Yikes. Nice formula. Let's see if I understand the logic:

If Level>=11 then continue, otherwise "". If T107 = ParagonPath then continue, otherwise "". Those two conditions can be combined:
Code:
=IF(AND(Level>=11,T107=ParagonPath),[do stuff],"")
In the middle there you have:
Code:
IF(OptionClass=P107,Q107,IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107))
This will produce an output of FALSE (and not a blank) if neither OptionClass or OptionClass2 is P107. That may be impossible, not sure. But if it's possible, you need a ,"" in there as an ELSE. Plus this is basically saying "If either of these is P107, then Q107, so I'd shrink that part to:
Code:
IF(OR(OptionClass=P107,OptionClass2=P107),Q107,"")
It doesn't shrink much, but it removes one level of IFs (there's a limit to nested IFs) and improves readability.

I'm not sure how to shrink the rest, offhand, so I'd end up with only the slightly better:
Code:
=IF(AND(Level>=11,T107=ParagonPath),IF(T107<>"Paragon Multiclass",IF(OR(OptionClass=P107,OptionClass2=P107),Q107,""),IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107,"")),"")
Doesn't make it much smaller, but it cuts down on nested IFs and may make it easier to edit later... Maybe once I see it in context, a more obvious shrinkage will become apparent.

Thanks for finding that FALSE for me, I'll have to fix that.
Version 15 should be up soon. I got all the powers and multiclass feats done.
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:23 pm 

A couple minor problems:

The Coins and Other Wealth section is protected.

The Dungeons & Dragons header extends down out of the black area for me. I think that my version of Excel (Excel 2004) doesn't allow the top of the graphic to be above the top of the window. If it is possible to trim the whitespace from the top, that would probably help.

Neither of these problems are going to keep me from using this very excellent game aid! The only reason I'm mentioning them is so they might be fixed in a future version. (The protection problem I just fix myself for each character).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:25 am 

Harknail wrote:
A couple minor problems:

The Coins and Other Wealth section is protected.

The Dungeons & Dragons header extends down out of the black area for me. I think that my version of Excel (Excel 2004) doesn't allow the top of the graphic to be above the top of the window. If it is possible to trim the whitespace from the top, that would probably help.

Neither of these problems are going to keep me from using this very excellent game aid! The only reason I'm mentioning them is so they might be fixed in a future version. (The protection problem I just fix myself for each character).

Hi Harknail,
I got both of these fixed now. Thanks for the info.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:43 pm 

For Wizards, each Daily/Utility power actually means they have two Daily/Utility powers in their spell book, and they pick which ones they 'learn' each day. Is there a way on the character sheet to indicate which Daily/Utility powers are "known but not prepared" ?

I'm not sure if you have to prepare one or the other, though. For example, at level 5 the wizard would have 2 level 1 daily and 2 level 5 daily powers in his spell book. After an extended rest, he's entitled to 'learn' two daily spells, a 5th level and a 1st level. I'm not sure if he can or can't use one of this 1st level spells in his 5th level slot (i.e. preparing Sleep and Freezing Cloud instead of Sleep and Fireball. This might impact how it would end up on the spreadsheet.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:49 pm 

Crysum,
One thing I noticed in your sheet, an Eladrin get a bonus skill due to the Eladrin Education.

However, your sheet doesn't take that into consideration in the skills section. It does list the ability/power under the racial area, but when I add the extra skill for the Education, a lovely -1 appears on the right side of the Skills header.

Is this something you care to resolve? I'm not familiar with Excel enough to be of any assitance; but wouldn't mind trying to break your formulas if you want.

Just kidding, let me know when you can and I appreciate your efforts on this sheet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:16 pm 

cnorman wrote:
Crysum,
One thing I noticed in your sheet, an Eladrin get a bonus skill due to the Eladrin Education.

However, your sheet doesn't take that into consideration in the skills section. It does list the ability/power under the racial area, but when I add the extra skill for the Education, a lovely -1 appears on the right side of the Skills header.

Is this something you care to resolve? I'm not familiar with Excel enough to be of any assitance; but wouldn't mind trying to break your formulas if you want.

Just kidding, let me know when you can and I appreciate your efforts on this sheet.

Thanks for finding that. I'll get it fixed in the next update.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:32 pm 

Khime wrote:
For Wizards, each Daily/Utility power actually means they have two Daily/Utility powers in their spell book, and they pick which ones they 'learn' each day. Is there a way on the character sheet to indicate which Daily/Utility powers are "known but not prepared" ?

I'm not sure if you have to prepare one or the other, though. For example, at level 5 the wizard would have 2 level 1 daily and 2 level 5 daily powers in his spell book. After an extended rest, he's entitled to 'learn' two daily spells, a 5th level and a 1st level. I'm not sure if he can or can't use one of this 1st level spells in his 5th level slot (i.e. preparing Sleep and Freezing Cloud instead of Sleep and Fireball. This might impact how it would end up on the spreadsheet.

If I calculate correctly, a wizard's spellbook would have up to 18 spells in it.
I was planning on having a third page that would have them listed as well
as some other information that may not have fit on the first two pages.
I might be able to force wizards to choose their spells in the spellbook section and to display the selected ones in the daily/utility section. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:36 pm 

I'm playing with it now and just can't figure out where the Skill cell is pulling the info from. This formula: =IF(Level=1,SkillsLeft,"")

On sheet2 I copied the Human and 0 cells from L72 & L73 and pasted them below in L74 & L75. Adjusted the formula in L75 to read:
=IF(Race="Eladrin",1,0)

and when I select the Eladrin race from the pull down, Sheet2 K75 reads 6; which is should. But the Character sheet didnt update.

Any pointers on where it is pulling from and I'll fix it and send it to you for approval.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:52 pm 

cnorman wrote:
I'm playing with it now and just can't figure out where the Skill cell is pulling the info from. This formula: =IF(Level=1,SkillsLeft,"")

On sheet2 I copied the Human and 0 cells from L72 & L73 and pasted them below in L74 & L75. Adjusted the formula in L75 to read:
=IF(Race="Eladrin",1,0)

and when I select the Eladrin race from the pull down, Sheet2 K75 reads 6; which is should. But the Character sheet didnt update.

Any pointers on where it is pulling from and I'll fix it and send it to you for approval.

You have to also add it to skillsleft. Thanks, I got it fixed now. I'll include it in tomorrows update.
Ron

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 263  Next