It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 263  Next
 Post subject: Re: Excel Spreadsheet
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:17 pm 

Khime wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there a programming/efficiency reason why you have some formulas that look like this:

=IF(Race="DragonBorn", 2, IF(Race="Half-Elf", 2, IF(Race="Halfling", 2, IF(Race="Tiefling", 2, 0))))

Instead of this?

=IF(OR(Race="DragonBorn", Race="Half-Elf", Race="Halfling", Race="Tiefling"),2,0)

I'm kludging in the Warforged until it's officially added, and my curiosity at seeing those prompted me to ask.

I am pretty much self taught and I never taught myself that.
Thank you for the information. If you have any other shortcuts to offer, feel free to let me know.
Did you see the formulas I used for condensing columns of information into contiguous lists? I was there was a shorter way of doing that.
Tomorrow I should have the powers done including multiclassing.
I will be able to get to the Warforged after that.
Thanks,
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:54 am 

Sorry to go off topic, but where is the Warforged at for 4.0 so I can read it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:59 am 

Crysun wrote:
Did you see the formulas I used for condensing columns of information into contiguous lists? I was there was a shorter way of doing that.

Yeah, I saw those. You can 'shorten' it by using &, but not by much. i.e.

=CONCATENATE(Y17,Y18,Y19,Y20,Y21,Y22,Y23,Y24)

can be turned into

=Y17&Y18&Y19&Y20&Y21&Y22&Y23&Y24

Doesn't help much, does it? You can do it with a custom function, but having functions is the same as having macros, so triggers the warning. But in case you want to add it:

Function ConcatenateRange(iRange As Range)
For Each cell In iRange
ConcatenateRange = ConcatenateRange & cell.Value
Next cell
End Function

If you add that, then you can use a formula like

=CONCATENATERANGE(Y17:Y24)

Other tips? I did notice you have lots of stuff intermingled on Sheet2 which will make adding new races muddled, since inserting a new row at, say, row 36 will throw off columns B:D for "Classes Trained". But I saw you were adding new tabs as you added new functionality, so I forsee those being broken out into such tabs.

I'd probably also have a static table of Class/Race features and do VLOOKUPs into that table based on the Class/Race, rather than having the IF(Class="classname") plus CONCATENATE, but VLOOKUP has an annoying habit of returning "0" for blank results instead of "". I can think of a few kludges to get around that (like having a column that has a 'count' of how many cells to trim off the result for a given class/race...)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:01 am 

cnorman wrote:
Sorry to go off topic, but where is the Warforged at for 4.0 so I can read it?

Dragon #364 over on D&D Insider: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/364_Warforged.pdf

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 am 

Thanks for the link and thanks for helping Crysun with the sheet. I appreciate both of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:27 pm 

Pfff... Excel nerds. :P Join the dark side and become a web nerd instead. ;) we have cookies!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 pm 

First of all, thanks to Ron for the awesome Character Sheets! I've got a few questions for Ron, if he dosen't mind:

Is there any way I can get a copy of them as they are updated and released?

Are there any tips/hints you can give me so I can make my own modifications? I admit I'm not quite as prolific in Excel as you are, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the time!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 pm 

Ah, but Excel has pie!

...charts.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:22 pm 

dmhaynes wrote:
First of all, thanks to Ron for the awesome Character Sheets! I've got a few questions for Ron, if he dosen't mind:

Is there any way I can get a copy of them as they are updated and released?

Are there any tips/hints you can give me so I can make my own modifications? I admit I'm not quite as prolific in Excel as you are, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the time!

Hi Haynes,
The website is frequently updated with the latest link. Go here and click on the top link.
http://dnd4.com/dd-4th-edition-character-sheet
To make modifications, you would have to unprotect the workbook, unhide the hidden tabs and get a headache trying to read the cryptic formulas ;)
Unless you know what you are doing, I wouldn't recommend trying to make mods to the sheet. One misstep could knock out a whole bunch of stuff.
Ron R.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:38 pm 

Khime wrote:

Other tips? I did notice you have lots of stuff intermingled on Sheet2 which will make adding new races muddled, since inserting a new row at, say, row 36 will throw off columns B:D for "Classes Trained". But I saw you were adding new tabs as you added new functionality, so I forsee those being broken out into such tabs.

Thanks Khime for the tips.
One nice thing about working in a macro free environment is that you can usually insert rows or columns without causing too much damage. Usually the formulas will update with the new cell locations.
Speaking of nightmarish formulas, how would you shorten this one?
=IF(Level>=11,IF(T107=ParagonPath,IF(T107<>"Paragon Multiclass",IF(OptionClass=P107,Q107,IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107)),IF(OptionClass2=P107,Q107,"")),""),"")
I used this one for selecting multiclass path powers for the Warlock while also checking their pact.
Ron R.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 263  Next