It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Post subject: Please be patient...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:49 pm 

The Good News is that there is an update to the Character Builder. The Bad News is that it does not include Dark Sun or Essentials - the new materials are from the last two months of the magazines plus Psionic Power. I am still glad to see this, if only to conform that the updates haven't been abandoned completely, but I can't muster much enthusiasm.

Post subject: Re: Please be patient...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:01 pm 

Emily Dickinson wrote:
The Good News is that there is an update to the Character Builder. The Bad News is that it does not include Dark Sun or Essentials - the new materials are from the last two months of the magazines plus Psionic Power. I am still glad to see this, if only to conform that the updates haven't been abandoned completely, but I can't muster much enthusiasm.

Thanks for the heads up. Have you read anything on how they will merge essentials & Dark Sun into the character builder?

I haven't really been paying much attention as my group is still involved in Eberron & won't be moving on to something new for quite some time. :roll:

Just curious if anything 'official' has been said.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:41 pm 

Official statements from WotC_Trevor over at the wizards community include:

Character builder updated as Emily said
Compendium has been updated with essentials and darksun - though some data is missing
Compendium has gotten an overhaul in visual design
Regularly scheduled updates will continue from this point on
Web tools are in the works

unfortunately we don't know if the essentials are slated for November, or a mid-term update - or what those web tools will be...

Hope this helps, its what i've gathered from the wotc forums...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:54 pm 

There's also speculation in the WotC forums because of something that Trevor mentioned in his post, that the compendium/character builder may move to an online-only model. The impact of which would likely be that you couldn't use the CB at all unless your sub were active. I, for one, am pretty disappointed in the job WotC has done, not only launching Red Box, but supporting it with the DDI tools. And it's been compounded by the total lack of information WotC has been providing to the community/customers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 am 

Thanks for the info.

Would be a bad move on WOTC's part to make the character builder & compendium only available for those who have active accounts.

Sometimes I think that all the online stuff has simply added to the game's complexity, and in some cases, its unwieldiness.

But as it's still speculative, not going to worry much really. :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:02 am 

Hmmm...well, part of me doesn't like that (active subscription required) but part of me understands. I know our group has 6 people and each of us have our own subscription. We could easily get by with only half and share accounts and updates, but we don't.

As long as they keep making updates and the tools add value to the game, I'm not to upset by paying monthly access to use them. And seeing that the tools they have provided basically make it so I'll likely never buy another hardcopy book, I can understand the model.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:45 pm 

If they had just thought ahead when they released 4E, they could have put unique redemption codes in the hardcopy books, which would give you access to those books you'd purchased, in an electronic form. Then they could have charged a nominal monthly/quarterly/annual fee for providing ongoing support/updates to the online copies of the books you own. Instead, they promise the game table and a full suite of tools, fail to deliver on the marquee tool and release buggy, semi-functional tools (mostly I'm referring to the monster tool here) and expect people to not only buy hardcopy, but also to pay for their online service as well. And to top it all off, they've been almost silent when it comes to telling the customers what's going on with the tools development-wise. Very poor planning and even worse execution. I wonder how the people who screwed up the 3.0/3.5 e-tools managed to not only *not* get fired, but to get themselves put on another project that looks just the same. (Ok, this last part is probably untrue, it's more of a rant about how, when they screwed up the e-tools, they should have learned from it.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:39 am 

personally, I like the new compendium layout.

I'm reserving judgement on the Online tools until I find out what they are. I'm concerned about what they may be, but excited about some of the good directions they could take them. (as in, an iPhone or WinMobile/Andoid app, an online version of the char builder that works With the existing one - update both)

Working in I.T. I know how difficult it can be to get coding done in a timely manner, particularly when the left hand and the right hand aren't communicating... I think that has been the crux of the problem thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 am 

Botanicus wrote:
personally, I like the new compendium layout.

I'm reserving judgement on the Online tools until I find out what they are. I'm concerned about what they may be, but excited about some of the good directions they could take them. (as in, an iPhone or WinMobile/Andoid app, an online version of the char builder that works With the existing one - update both)

Working in I.T. I know how difficult it can be to get coding done in a timely manner, particularly when the left hand and the right hand aren't communicating... I think that has been the crux of the problem thus far.

I think you are right. Often management feels that since they can pretend to be Jean-Luc Picard & say "Make it so" that that's all that has to happen.

Hardest thing is managing expectations & if the different departments (IT, sales, R&D, etc...) aren't talking or, more importantly, listening to each other, things like this happen.

I worked for a small PR firm in Boston a long time ago that consistently out performed their larger competitors 'cause they took strategic planning very seriously & had also created a culture where you were encouraged to 'throw a spanner in the works' to stop something before it became an issue.

Possibly, and this is just conjecture obviously as I don't work for WOTC, there are some things that the higher ups at WOTC don't want to hear 'No' to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am 

profligate wrote:
If they had just thought ahead when they released 4E, they could have put unique redemption codes in the hardcopy books, which would give you access to those books you'd purchased, in an electronic form.
I have a vague memory of that actually being their plan at one point, so it may be that they did think ahead, and just couldn't pull it off. Just like they had all of these big plans for the online character modeler and the interactive 3D dungeons that they couldn't bring to life.