It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Post subject: Re: Please be patient...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:25 am 

Khime wrote:
I have a vague memory of that actually being their plan at one point, so it may be that they did think ahead, and just couldn't pull it off. Just like they had all of these big plans for the online character modeler and the interactive 3D dungeons that they couldn't bring to life.

I wonder what made that fall through, if it was actually the plan. It seems like a very easy thing to do, on the surface, since it's basically the model that every online software vendor uses, not to mention a large percentage of the store-bought software out there, (MS Office and Windows come to mind.) I mean, I realize that it's not piracy-proof, but it's impossible to eliminate piracy completely in any software sales model.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:28 am 

...and that's it for a WotC Character Builder you can buy and keep.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... er_Builder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:48 am 

Well ... crap .... :(

Edit says: Am considering to buy a monthly subscription now though - for 1 month so I can get the last offline CB version - and check out the new online whatchamadoodle thingy to compare (and then curse WotC) ...

Edit 2: Can someone with a still running subscription confirm, that the "offline CB" ist still avaliable as of right now?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:41 am 

RegenCoE wrote:
Well ... crap .... :(

Edit says: Am considering to buy a monthly subscription now though - for 1 month so I can get the last offline CB version - and check out the new online whatchamadoodle thingy to compare (and then curse WotC) ...

Edit 2: Can someone with a still running subscription confirm, that the "offline CB" ist still avaliable as of right now?

The 'old school' character builder I have on my laptop still works. The only things not updated yet are Dragon Magazines 389 & 390, Dungeon Magazines 180 & 181, & Psionic Power. Those are all in 'beta' mode, which I think means not everything has been added to the application.

The website said the launch date for the new character builder is 11/16/10.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:19 am 

This is the e-mail I received from D&D Insider yesterday:

Dear D&D Insider™ Subscriber,

On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new web-based version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current downloadable version will remain functional, but will no longer be available for download or updated with content after the new version goes live. Here are the highlights of the new Character Builder:

• New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in Microsoft Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
• No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site.
• PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight plug-in.
• Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, login, and launch the Character Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder tools page.
• Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved on our database. No need to save Character Builder files on your hard drive anymore.
• File Import: You can easily import your characters created in the previous version to the new Character Builder.
• Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you enjoyed in the previous versions.
• New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut with the new version.
If you have any questions about the new Character Builder or your subscription, see the FAQ or contact a Game Support Representative.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:41 am 

Yeah no, I got all that :) I was just wondering if for those who have an active subscription right now the Character Builder Classic (as it's referred to by WotC) can still be accessed and downloaded - or did they already remove it from the DDI tools website? I am pondering getting a 1 month subscription so I could download the most recent CB, and still have a chance to look at the new web based CB come release day. Could someone with an active subscription maybe check for me? Pwetty pwease? :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 am 

Regen, as far as I can tell, everything is still working and up to date...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:47 pm 

Great, thanks mate :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:28 pm 

Just be careful if you're using Windows 7... Windows 7 and the CB don't seem to like each other... only a problem when you try to update I think...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 pm 

Not that it'll matter any more, but when i run Cbuilder under Windows 7 i always run it as Administrator if i need to process an update. Otherwise it doesn't seem to work quite right. I know they have the temporary rights elevator in place, but i dont think it functions as intended, so rather than fight with it i just log out and log in as local admin (Run As doesn't always work)