It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 am

Post subject: Re: Character Builder Web.0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 pm 

I'm seeing this with pretty much every piece of software released in the past few years.

The first version is just a beta people pay for. Video games are particularly bad, given the worst that can happen is a bunch of gamers are angry. They're always angry, even if you have a great product. But business wont fail, taxes will get paid, nothing will fall from the sky.

Sadly, there is no better way to get free testing on such a large scale. Is unethical, but its effective.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:53 am 

Orin Skullcrusher wrote:
Sadly, there is no better way to get free testing on such a large scale. Is unethical, but its effective.

If WotC had advertised this as a beta and continued simultaneous support of both the web based and downloadable character creator, we woouldn't be having this problem, and I'm fairly certain more than a few people would be happy to test for them.

WotC is not a software company, and boy are they showing it.

-WF

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:39 am 

Wildfire wrote:
Orin Skullcrusher wrote:

If WotC had advertised this as a beta and continued simultaneous support of both the web based and downloadable character creator, we woouldn't be having this problem, and I'm fairly certain more than a few people would be happy to test for them.

WotC is not a software company, and boy are they showing it.

-WF

I agree with that. WOTC will survive this but should ask themselves what was left on the table for not handling this better.

Obviously they aren't a software company and for the most part, I don't think anyone will hold them to that standard.

That said, if you look at all the posts on their website, I think WOTC had a large talent pool of 'free' testers to draw from. Make them the first outside testers & listen to them. Compensate them with some free swag or a month's free subscription to ddi possibly.

If that isn't possible, then Wildfire's suggestion of continuing to support the old application is appropriate. Businesses do fail when they switch systems without the appropriate back up in place if needed.

I may have mentioned this before - and I apologize for repeating myself if I did ;) - but I used to work for a PR firm and everything is about perception & managing expectations. How you are perceived to be handling things is often more important than how you really are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:17 am 

Botanicus wrote:
At the end of the day though, WotC is not a software company... the are a RPG company primarily and CCG/Mini/boardgame company second.
Even worse, they are a CCG company primarily, and a RPG/Mini/boardgame company second. Magic: The Gathering has been their cash cow long before they ever bought D&D. Though at least with Magic computer products, they were smart enough to outsource.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:15 pm 

Khime wrote:
Though at least with Magic computer products, they were smart enough to outsource.

I don't follow... ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:59 pm 

The thing is, WoTC IS a software company now. People give them money for software. If the stuff was free, I could see the point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:36 am 

Well, I pretty much agree as well. I admit that it's the first time I've played with any sort of character builder for the game, since I'm a Mac user and didn't want to bother downloading the extra software to use the old one.

:P

They should find a way to get animal companions on the character sheet, too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:00 pm 

Botanicus wrote:
As one of my players mentioned, in 3.5 we never looked at the Dragon Magazine for material, why do we feel like we 'have to' now?

And honestly: I prefered the Character Builder when you could actually look through all the feats, because there were 5 class, 5 race and 20 heroic tier feats at level 1.

Now you have to read for 20 minutes to get through the heroic ones ... (yes I do know you can disable them, but it takes hours since you have to do it magazin by magazin).