It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Post subject: Re: Character Builder Web.0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:35 am 

a few points of note:

it was listed as version 0.1.155 or so, which tells me they know it was an unfinished product (for better or worse, personally i think they should've tacked on a Beta flag)

I was able to successfully create 3 characters with minor problems (such as retraining not working)

with any luck they'll release a new update to it soon to correct a few of the problems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:01 pm 

I love how end users are become beta testers for a lot of this stuff.

I agree, they really need to put a beta tag on it until it really been tested.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:10 pm 

Beta is the new gold ... :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:21 pm 

I am unable to scroll the 'character sheet' with my mouse roller (im using chrome).

anyone else experiencing this? Really annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:22 pm 

Anyone figure out how to add Homebrew content yet? I tried to add a different race but couldn't figure out how to...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:33 pm 

As of last night, Wizards has a posted 'known bugs' list, including their top priorities

i also noticed we were up to version 0.1.4.0

as to homebrew, currently not supported at all - but on their list to fix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:15 pm 

Maybe I'm just too much of an idealist, but it seems to me that if you're going to totally replace one product with another, you should hold off on doing so until the new product can actually 100% replace the old one before rolling it out and removing the old product...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 pm 

And again I'm with Khime ... I especially find it to be a very bold move to replace something that's been working without (too many) problems with a program that is so far away from version 1.0 - I mean seriously? 0.1.4.0 ? I've had Alphatests that had a higher version number ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:51 pm 

I agree with RegenCoE & Khime. Considering the computer applications that were promised from the beginning of 4e & haven't worked out so well you'd think WOTC would've taken more care.

I like the application, actually, and know that the bugs will be fixed. I just think they needed to take more time to make sure the launch was more of a success.

Most of us who post here already play & have some understanding of 4e; but if you're one of the 'newbies' whom WOTC is courting with 'essentials,' how impressed are you going to be with the new character builder?

I tried 4 times last night to build 1 character & finally gave it up as a lost cause - the prior night I had had no such problems, go figure. :roll:

I remember trying the other character builder when I was still very new to 4e & I was ecstatic has to its ease of use & how it simplified a lot of things for me. I don't think someone trying the new builder out will get the same reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:03 pm 

I'll agree it is a reasonable request, as well as being idealistic. from a tech standpoint, it can be released prior to meeting the 100% range if it is stable (currently not) and has the Beta tag (current not) to cover instability and feature loss. If you release with sub-par features, you offer a release schedule (has) to indicate you will be addressing them in the near future.

I'm all for the new builder, i think when they get it sorted out we'll be in good shape. However, it was a bit of a presumptuous and troubled launch and that will hurt them in the short term.

IF it grows to offering more features and better features, such as integration to the Monster Builder-Online or whatnot, then great. At the end of the day though, WotC is not a software company... the are a RPG company primarily and CCG/Mini/boardgame company second. I'm just afraid they're over-reaching and they're getting a conflict between Tech and Management about what can be done and when.

but, that may be me projecting my own opinions from the workplace onto another company <_< >_>