It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Post subject: Character Builder Web.0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:14 am 

Today is the release for the Character builder's Web edition - but don't expect everything the original builder had (yet). I was doing some research last night at the DDi forums, Here's what I've dug up:

- a new power card layout
- new character sheet options
- import from Classic CB
- Setting Specific options such as Themes being tied to Darksun.
- Essentials or Classic characters
- Improved Quick Build options
- home brew magic items, feats etc (generally the Add Custom <something>) segments
- Limited to 20 Characters (to be expanded)
- Cannot export (planning to export to .dnd4e, maybe they'll load in the Character Viewer?
- Use in multiple locations is ok, but use by multiple people is not based on EULA
- Lots of enhancements are coming in the near future. One reason we haven't seen much development on the original CBuilder is splitting the crew in two, building a new app and populating data in the existing
- the new builder wont change the update schedule (yet) but should make it easier for them to handle several things
- No Gamma World support (yet)

Post subject: Re: Character Builder Web.0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:41 am 

Going to look at it tonight.

My subscription runs out at the end of the month and I'm not sure I'm renewing. :|

Not honestly sure about how I feel about having to continually pay to play a game. Granted, I'm not of the on-line game generation so 'buying' WOW was never my thing.

I'm old school, you bought the books you needed, such as the core, & then added the ones you & your friends thought were cool.

Playing 4e for me, at least, has meant that the character builder was a sensible purchase as it made life easier for me & my gaming friends.

But the idea that I will have to continue indefinitely paying this subscription bothers me for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:46 am 

I'm with PR here - and I AM of the online generation - I have (had) accounts to most of the MMOs out there - but playing a pen&paper game should never have to include paying a monthly fee as well as paying hundreds of euro / dollar / <insert your currency here> for the books and then paying WotC for the webservices as well. Would have gladly payed a 1 month fee every 3 - 6 months to get updates for the CB and all ... but HAVING to keep the subscription running to be able to access my characters? I don't think so ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:47 am 

As one of my players mentioned, in 3.5 we never looked at the Dragon Magazine for material, why do we feel like we 'have to' now?

I like the Character Builder, i think it lowers the bar on getting your character started so people who don't know the system well can do it too - and without buying all those books. BUT I also favor building the character by hand.

personally, i use the CBuilder to filter the options available to mebut hand write or type everything so i know what my math is and where.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:41 pm 

And back in 2nd edition, if there was an errata, my gaming group would have never known about it:)

I do think with this kind of technology, if there are options out there, you want them all available in the tool. I know I do. And I know if I didn't have a tool, then I wouldn't care...

While I think its nice to be able to make a character quicker, I think its becoming a disservice to players to not know how to create their character by hand. I know that early on playing my warlord, I had an attack bonus that was one off. I was tracking everything by hand and eventually, I was bothered that I didn't have all the cool power cards and I had a bunch of notes in my margins.

I built it in CB and it found the difference and gave me the right numbers (although, sometimes the numbers aren't right, which is a problem if you don't really know your character).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 pm 

not able to import my own character pic. minor bummer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:46 pm 

First character I tried to create using the online tool was my githzerai monk ... upon selecting githzerai and choosing my second ability with a stat bonus the thing locked up, gave me a divide by zero error ... and I didn't bother anymore :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 pm 

RegenCoE wrote:
First character I tried to create using the online tool was my githzerai monk ... upon selecting githzerai and choosing my second ability with a stat bonus the thing locked up, gave me a divide by zero error ... and I didn't bother anymore :P

Yeah, that was frustrating, but if you fire it back up you can go right in and pick up where you left off with the same character. I think it's pretty awesome and cool.

:P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:09 pm 

Does anyone know when HotFK is supposed to be added?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:39 am 

LordPasty wrote:
RegenCoE wrote:

Yeah, that was frustrating, but if you fire it back up you can go right in and pick up where you left off with the same character. I think it's pretty awesome and cool.

:P

I played with it last night & only had a few issues regarding 'locking up' and as LordPasty said, I rebooted & kept going. I chalked it up the lock up issue to either a bug, me not familiar with the application, or the fact that everyone was trying it out as well. ;)

I liked it overall and it has some nice features; especially creating characters for the different 'worlds' or editions (e.g. 4e vs. 'essentials').

Found the button 'you choose XX for me' not really worth much. :roll:

I will want to play around with it some more, but at first blush it seems to be a good product to me. Although I am with Orin & would love to be able to use character images besides the ones given; something for them to add at the next upgrade I guess.