It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:54 am

Post subject: 4eTurnTracker: D&D 4e encounter management made easy...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pm 

I'll keep this short because you will find more info (although incomplete :shock:) on the web-site:

4eTurnTracker is a program to help DM's manage a D&D 4th Edition encounter.

I am developing the program as a hobby, and would like to share it with the RPG community. It runs on Mac and Windows, and it's free!

Check it out at: http://4eturntracker.com :D

Post subject: Re: 4eTurnTracker: D&D 4e encounter management made easy...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 pm 

Wow thanks Jabberwock! The program looks amazing, Im going to show it to my DM right away!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:51 am 

My pleasure! :)

Missing is a window to easily create Monsters and Encounters, but I am working on that at the moment. You will then be able to copy-and-paste Monster Stat Blocks, in order to create Monsters. Creating and managing Encounters will also only require a few clicks... coming soon! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:08 pm 

I installed it on Monday, a few hours before my session. I was planning on using it, as I had a pair of combat encounters planned, but I didn't use it for the additional set up it would have required to enter all 5 of my players and the two encounter's worth of monsters (26 monsters and 4 different types).

Adding a quick way to build/import monsters and build encounters will do wonders for its usability, so I am glad you are working on that next.

I did look at your data files and I could have edited them myself, but time was an issue.

You might want to see if someone here would volunteer to create some monster data files, unofficially, of course, that would work with your program. Then this would be an awesome tool ready to go right out of the box, save for entering some minor player information.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:14 pm 

Jabberwock: I'll give this thingy a try, but one feature request I have right off the bat is to not reveal any info on monster hit points. The bar for monster hit points should only have three states. Full grey, half red and empty. If a player can see that with 20 damage the bar went down about a quarter he can infer the monster has about 80 hit points, 60 or so remaining. That and an interface for setting up the party/encounters would be nice. :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:06 am 

Hi reddz:

I think I will make this configurable. At the moment the Hit Points progress bar in the Players window has 10 positions (this DM's is a real percentage progress bar).

Strict rule conformance would be to only show 3 states to the players: 100%, bloodied, and 0% (dead), as you suggest (well, maybe a 4th state: the monster has been hit).

But, if the DM allows, then it is it is nice for players to get some idea of their progress. After all, if one of the players tracks the amount of damage a monster is taking then they will also get some idea of how many HP it must have (especially once it is bloodied).

Besides, I happen to be a player myself! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:15 am 

Yeah, if you are going to mask the actual HP, then 100%, Hit, Bloodied and Dead sound like the right ones to show.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:51 pm 

That works.

Couple more nits from a data angle:

1 - Surge Value can be calculated from Total HP, can it not? Why include it in the data file? (trunc(hp/4)) is easier than another file read isn't it?

2 - Why flat files instead of xml? (more curiosity from a fellow programmer than an admonisment) :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:17 am 

Hi Reddz,

I guess I could make the surge value input field optional because it is usually trunc(hp/4). But this is not always the case. There are some bonuses that may be apply, for example Dragon Born can add their CONS modifier.

I did not consider XML because I was not sure if everyone would know how to edit an XML file.

However, I am working on changes to the format. In the next version you will be able to simple copy the Monster Stat Block from the Compendium and paste it into the file.

4eTT will then parse the file and pull out the data it requires. This will also mean that if I support powers later, the data will be available.

But the best part of the new version will be a "Monster Manager" window for creating monsters and encounters, without having to fiddle with the text files! 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:48 pm 

*facepalm*

I didn't even think about bonuses to surges... you are correct, carry on!

The additions for monsters and encounter management sound brilliant and are awaited with eager glee :lol: