It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Post subject: "A New D&D In-Store Play Program"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:09 am 

From Wizards.com...

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... s/20110119

"If you think you have what it takes to brave the fiercest foes, fight the toughest battles, and conquer the vilest enemies, we have a new D&D play experience for you! Starting in September, gather your master tacticians and rules experts together to kick down the dungeon doors and begin the assault!

The new Wizards Play Network in-store program pits tactically-minded players against a super challenging adventure where the difference between victory and defeat is dependent upon your game knowledge, ability to adapt, and a little bit of luck. You’ll pit your wits against some of the most challenging encounters you’ve ever played. Each adventure plays in just a few hours, but for many players, they’ll need to make more than one run at it in pursuit of victory. A season lasts 2 months, and stores can schedule their sessions at any time during the season.

Bring extra character sheets. Bring Fortune Cards. You’ll need them.

Begin your lair assault this September."

Post subject: Re: "A New D&D In-Store Play Program"
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:40 pm 

Has anyone used these Fortune Cards in their home games?

I've only seen a couple examples of the cards and they seemed somewhat specific to an adventure/module. I currently hand out a session power card that allows a player to have any die re-rolled, as incentive to update their character sheets on-time.

They worked well for the first year or so, but now some of my players don't care about the reroll, so I was thinking having a deck of fortune cards, and each player that got their sheet updated on time could draw a the beginning of the session, may get them motivated again.

And if these fortune cards are good, then I wouldn't have to create my own...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:36 am 

The best review i`ve seen so far about fortune cards http://rpggeek.com/thread/609353/dungeons-and-dragons-fortune-cards-actual-play-r It seems pretty objective.

As far as my own opinion, i would not use fortune cards on my table for a bunch of different reasons, two of them being the big ones. one they wont be easily found around here (where i am) the other is that 4e chars are powerful as they are, and i dont see them needing another mechanic that grants them bonus just for free.

On the other hand, i hope wotc sells enough of these to actually make a profit, if they win money, the game is preserved. but just not enough of them, so they would be considered a "need" for the "core" of another edition to come in years.

I would collec them? yes. they seem interesting enough and the rare ones present good cool art, but i just dont see the need nor the added value to my table

Visit my D&D blog (Save Ends) http://saveends.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:27 am 

Thanks for the review link. And I read another one that was in the comments to that review, so I think I'm pretty well up-to-speed.

I'm not worried about the power boost, as I wouldn't be using them as the rules state. I'd basically be using them as rewards, one-time use during a session, in return for an updated character sheet (I request them down by midnight on our off week, to give me about a week to review and prepare for next session).

I'm thinking that I'd be better served just getting some example text and making my own. Based on the two articles, I can see the types of powers in the deck. I was just wanting to bring a random element and get the players motivated to update their sheets again.