It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:26 am

Post subject: Flex stat article
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm 

Postig from my phone, I'll clean it up tomorrow :)

Link
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... 3abilities

Updates deva, genasi, gnome, Goliath, kalshatar, revenant, shadar-Kai,warforged

Major points for me are genasi and warforged as int/con - warlock and swordmage
Deva as wis/cha- long live the aasimar laser cleric!
Goliath as str/wis- runepriest, melee cleric, str paladin, woo!
Sharada Kai dex/wis pursuing avenger should be fun too
All in all I'm really happy with the post and even more happy it is freely available and not subscriber only. What do you guys think, did they do a good job?

Post subject: Re: Flex stat article
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:53 am 

Yay, Warforged Warlock tank action ! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:43 am 

I'm glad to see it for free, but of course it's the easiest thing in the world to houserule, and I like some of my houserules better than these official versions. Str/Int Dragonborn (I really love these guys and wish they had more classes to choose from), Wis/Str Dwarves, Int/Con Tieflings (created before Charismatic Infernal Pacts were a possibility, and I still think it's a better solution to encourage Tiefling Infernal Pacts), Dex/Cha Elves, and some others I don't recall off the top of my head. These are good enough for the most part, though. I could never decide between Int/Cha and Int/Wis Eladrin, so I was content to let Heroes of the Adjective Place choose that one for me. My daughter's fond of Int/Dex "Tinker Gnomes", and she'll be happy that they are now official.

One thing I hadn't thought of before and now can't get out of my head - a Warforged with the voice of Anthony Daniels or Brent Spiner...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:59 am 

Don't forget Haley Joel Osment from A.I.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:36 pm 

Really, this is errata to bring the remainder of the races in line with the changes to race design implemented in PHB3 and DS. I believe they should have updated the rest when they printed PHB3, in order to maintain balance across the line. So yes, I'm happy it's done. I'm not happy it's free, because I'd have been disgusted if it hadn't been.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 am 

Unfortunately, all of the changes and updates 4e has had really cements my view that I'll never buy a rulebook again. I'm still pretty upset that my original core set of books is pretty much worthless.

Love 4e though, just can't justify buying the books.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 am 

Last I saw we were sitting at about a 5% revision to PHB1 (pre essentials release) anyone happen to know what that is up to now? I'm skittish to buy some books but so far Divine Power and PHb2 are fairly untouched, so I'm still happy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:35 am 

5% isn't so bad. Although, with a character builder, any player books are pretty much obsolete...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:39 pm 

Books are good for the fluff, you don't get much of that from the character builder. And some of my best characters were based more on fluff than mechanics. So I have most of the books and skimmed though reading all of the fluff.

But I agree, I can't remember the last time I looked at a book when making a character. I just go by memory on the fluff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:04 pm 

Harknail wrote:
Books are good for the fluff, you don't get much of that from the character builder. And some of my best characters were based more on fluff than mechanics.

Hmm.

I am pretty new to D&D, and I have to admit that I can't find much that could be considered fluff in books. Today, I was looking to create background for my Dwarf Protector Shaman. Half a page background on Dwarfs in PHBI, and half a page fluff on Shamans in PHBIII isn't really what I call much fluff.

But maybe players recycle 3.5 material for that? If you can recommend me some background reading on dwarves (and fluff ideas on shamans), I'd appreciate this (I don't want to steal the thread, maybe I should open a new one).

Also, is my impression wrong, or did the offline character builder have more text? The online one doesn't display any details for many class abilities, some feats, and especially paragon path abilities.

EDIT:
I just saw that if you click on SEE COMPENDIUM in the online char-builder, it opens up links which include the complete fluff text from the original source (e.g. dwarves: )

Last edited by Torvon on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.