It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Post subject: Re: Class Compendium: Weaponmaster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:31 am 

Personally I dont find Twin Strike 'Broken' but it is a very optimal choice. I disagree with Darkwolf's assertion that you need it to be successful, but it certainly helps.

Twin strike allows for multiple attacks, which increases overall accuracy and since Ranger has high damage output per attack you can deal out a large amount of damage per turn. Its more potent for Bow rangers I believe, but both primary builds are well served by it.

Along the same lines of 'too good to miss' for Paladin is Ardent Strike, hard to be a strong defender without it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:36 am 

Puck Robin wrote:
Darkwolf_Bloodsbane wrote:
Puck Robin wrote:
Also, what exactly is wrong with Twin Strike?

PR

:shock: You're kidding, right? :shock: :ugeek:

The most overpowered at-will in the game, according to charop and everyone else.

The at-will that, if a Ranger doesn't take it, you'll likely get laughed out of town? :lol:

No. There's nothing wrong with it. It's perfectly balanced and is in no way overpowered. :mrgreen:

So if they made it an encounter or daily you would'v been OK with it then?

The only snark in my post is the very last line. the others are (somewhat) serious.

Not me. Everyone who's done and/or read the math. I'll try to find a link for you later.

In short: you get to apply all of your static bonuses to each damage roll. This isn't much at low heroic, but, here's a (really short) list of things that get applied on each hit: Magic Weapon Enhancement, Weapon Focus, Damage enhancements from Iron Armbands of Power, etc.

IF they errataed it to function as a single [2W] damage roll if both attacks hit, it'd be a lot more balanced, and it would make the other Ranger at-wills viable. It'd still be (Likely) the best, but it wouldn't be so overwhelmingly powerful. It would merely be a good choice as opposed to a choice so good you're nerfing yourself if you don't take it.

Light armor is NOT a balancing feature, as a Ranger can ignore WIS completely with no actual consequences. A STR/DEX Ranger has a strong AC.

EDIT: just saw Bot's Post.

Ardent Strike IS good, but it's not overwhelmingly better than (most, there's one or two complete crap ones) the other Paladin At-Wills. So while it's likely that a Paladin will take it, he can be a good defender without it.

EDIT 2: The only reason twin strike is "better" for archers is because they only have to purchase one weapon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:08 am 

The Light Armour issue can be a real one for Melee Rangers, since unless they have a DEX equal to their STR, their DEX has no real function apart from initiative/AC/Reflex, making them the only build with a "Secondary Stat" that adds no bonuses to any powers. Ignoring Wisdom, at the very least, severely restricts what powers they can make good use of. When MP2 came out, I offered the Ranger in my group the opportunity to change his stats, retrain Marauder powers for all ranged attacks and spend a feat to get Chainmail, after which he was much more effective (but still certainly not the most effective character - Geoff the Dragonborn Rogue is less impressive on paper but played by a much more alert and tactically minded player).

None of that changes the fact that Twin Strike is probably the best At-Will in the game, for the reasons Bloodsbane outlined plus one more - two chances per turn to activate Hunter's Quarry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:09 am 

Emily Dickinson wrote:
two chances per turn to activate Hunter's Quarry.

I KNEW I was forgetting something...