It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Official Errata
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Here are the official Errata PDF's from Wizards last updated 8-11-08:

Phb Errata
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdatePH.pdf

DMG Errata
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdateDMG.pdf

MM Errata
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdateMM.pdf

Edit: The newest errata can be found here http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080716

Post subject: Re: Official Errata
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:36 pm 

Well, I love the new rules, but just noticed 10% of the pages in the PHB already have some kind of errata, and its been less than a month. That is just sad.

WoTC should not invite the people that proof read the PHB to the company picnic. The people that proof read the MM should be invited, but they should be forced to serve beer to those that proof read the DMG.

:shock:

When the PHB people complain that theirs was harder and that its not fair, give them a $5 gift card to the company store.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:58 pm 

I think the DMG and the MM have fewer updates/revisions/additions/deletions than the PHB because those books haven't been gone over with as much of a fine tooth comb by the players. I would wager that more people have tried making a fighter (and gotten confused by how Marks interact) than have tried setting up an encounter using an Efreet Karadjin or an artifact.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

Post subject: Official D&D Updates
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:12 pm 

The page that links to the updates can be found at:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/updates

And the links to the FAQs are found at the bottom of each update.

Adding this because the URLs in the original post appear to be date-specific, and wanted to have the general link here in case of future Official D&D Updates.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 pm 

An even newer set of errata has been released, same location as before: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/updates. The bottom of each PDF lists what has been added, but I here's what I thought were the 'big' changes.

PHB errata include some changes to Hunter's Quarry, Sneak Attack, and Warlock's Curse to limit their damage to once per turn, and lots of other changes/clarifications. Blade Cascade got nerfed. Knowledge checks are easier (more in line with the DMG changes).

DMG changes include making "Actions the Rules Don’t Cover" a lot easier, diseases easier to recover from, reducing all Skill Check Difficulty Classes by 10, and a huge revamp of the Skill Challenge section.

MM changes only a few things; it just looks longer because it's not double-column format any longer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 am 

Whoa, the DMG errata has updated the table on page 42.
This definitely changes things up quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:07 am 

This is very sad...on one hand, I'm furious and on the other hand, I'm disappointedly and disgusted.

Looking through the erratas (citing on the PHB), most of the updates are blatant poke in the eye errors.

Two questions:
(1) How did the WoTC people do their quality assurance testing? I don't think they can pride themselves any better than a developing countries quality output...RPG is a gaming experience of role play with a governing set of rules. D&D isn't anything except for its rules. If these rules can have such terrible mistakes, it's a good as this product sucks! Grammatical mistakes notwithstanding...
(2) How did the mega list of playtesters miss out such mistakes??? Do these playtesters exist in the first place? Did they really test or are merely bought puppets of WoTC to look good and deceive the potential buyers into believing its a good product?

Don't believe me? Check out these few examples:

Page 198: Thievery
replace "DC 20 + your target's level" with "DC 20 + one-half your target's level".
Note: Unless not one playtester played a rogue, its a whole world difference...sigh...

Page 133: Frigid Darkness
replace "all of your enemies" with "you and your allies"
Note: World apart logic??!!?? OMG...

I don't want to write any more examples.... :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:12 am 

::grins wildly::

Well, pot, this is kettle. Kettle, this is pot. I think you're both black.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:51 pm 

lmao, I have to agree with mouse abit.. these things were mostly pointed out by the community after 1-3 sessions.. how could such a long list of playtesters missed this after all the time they'd have been given?

I can understand they'd be constantly tweaking the rules but it just seems.. foolish.

And on the Thievery thing.. thank god for that.. playing a rogue i was dreading the day i had to steal an item from anyony above level 7 :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:41 pm 

I think it's been said elsewhere in this thread or on the forums somewhere, but these playtesters, while testing the game are likely given assignments and scenarios and they are such a small population compared to the gaming world at-large. While they're looking here, an error lies over there and they've been told to pay attention to specific things, so others may slip through the cracks.

I mean, how often do the devs of your favorite MMOs make updates and corrections to games that surely got more playtesting in their Beta versions than did DnD4? I see regular updates to my fave about once every two or three months for silly things like wordings in power descriptions.

You think, "Man, someone should have caught that," but they just can't get every little thing and sometimes it results in a bit of egg on the face, however, considering the nearly thousand pages of work that went into the Core Rules books, I'd say the errata (even though some of the mistakes are glaring) is relatively small.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next