It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official Errata
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:41 am 

The forced Teleport portion is going to upset one of our players... we just started a campaign in which he is a warlock/ensnaring swordmage - his primary tactic is to mark an opponent, teleport up, set an immovable Rod, make the DC to balance on it (Agreed upon house interpretation of the item) and then teleport the monster up and drop it. Monday he had it at max range of 10 squares.

He was happy the new DM allowed him to use it, I was the mean one who said it didnt seem 'heroic' or 'fair'.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 pm 

The March updates are out!

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates

Looks like 14 different books got updates this time, lots of them to reflect how they changed the wording of several rules in PHB 3.

Orb of Imposition got nerfed as part of toning down all abilities that apply saving throw penalties. They also limited Lasting Frost to apply to only your first target.

Also, the way "untyped" bonuses stack was slightly modified (i.e. you can't get untyped bonuses to hit from the Tactical Presence of two different Warlords, since it's it's the same named game element; you have to pick one).

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:56 pm 

Oo, righteous brand got it too. Now strength clerics got nothing special in their at-wills, shame shame. I personally found there nothing wrong with his +5 to hit bonus at level 1, guaranteed a hit sure but he paid a hefty price for that.

That's one piece of errata I won't be abiding by (since I usually don't pay attention to errata that's not saying much).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:05 pm 

I was quite happy to see the clarification on the Damage Type keywords, but looked like a lot of errata for this time around. Also glad about the Divine Miracle, less potent but still cool

Hide Armor expertise really took a hit as well...

This update is going to make some of my players mad, and will probably impact notably half of 'em. I'll have to read through it again after work though

*edit*
Oh yeah, not a fan of how they commented some changes will make feats out-dated and they have no plans on updating them. I guess they can't 'delete' old feats but i dont think there should be fake feats or dead feats in the mix...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:44 pm 

Yea, those notes on the Expertise feats made me a bit upset too. At the very least the "obsoleted" feats could be "deleted" yea? C'mon WotC how hard is it to remove code from the CB? It's a lot sloppier to say "we know this makes other stuff crappy, but we don't care" that reeks of... well not caringness.

Potion of Clarity and Salves of Power got beat pretty badly. It's funny, I'd encouraged players to buy potions of clarity (they're good, and cheap!) and handed them out willy nilly as part of parcels!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 am 

My group as a whole is just getting situated with the whole actually USING daily Item Powers and the like - overall Potions are a rare use for us, for better or worse.

that said, I think that'll change here shortly - we're going through the Revenge of the Giants and since we know what we're fighting (or think we do!) we're trying to stack up on a handful of Potions since they're cheap and mostly effective.

bit of a side-track, but back on the Erratta - I'll have a bit of explaining to do come Saturday for our next campaign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 am 

Candi wrote:
Yea, those notes on the Expertise feats made me a bit upset too. At the very least the "obsoleted" feats could be "deleted" yea? C'mon WotC how hard is it to remove code from the CB? It's a lot sloppier to say "we know this makes other stuff crappy, but we don't care" that reeks of... well not caringness.
Well, two thoughts that spring to my mind are that "obsoleted" feats are only obsolete if you use Expertise feats (one of my DMs does not allow them, some players don't care enough to do the math to use them, etc), or that they're only obsolete if you apply this latest errata (some groups pick and choose). Those "obsolete" feats are still there to be taken; there are just some feats that are mathematically better to take now, so you'd not have a desire to take them unless it fit your character.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:48 am 

On the whole I agree, but I'm never a fan of 'trap' options - most experianced players will see if it'll work or not but for helping New players it gets a little hairy.

Most of the time power options are more 'what do you want to do' than 'this is better than that' (some exceptions) but when it comes to feats, all are not created equal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:52 am 

Character Builder is now patched. It had been hiding Class Channel Divinity Powers with the March Update, and that is now fixed. I don't know if anything else was broken/changed, but that's enough to make it worth my while to put the patch in, and I'm very glad they fixed it. Just launch the Builder and the patch should install like an update (without counting against the monthly limit).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 pm 

Though it seems Hide Armor Expertise no longer works (as of the last Errata) It doesn't show the +2 in any place I can tell on the Barbarian build I made.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next