It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:24 am

Post subject: New builds, classes, races announced at GenCon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 am 

From what I've followed of Gencon (not able to go this year due to bad memory of when it occured) here's some of what we can look forward to:

next few months on DDi - some oriental material, including a Kanji styled Runepriest and a ninja theme or build for assassin (not clear on which)

Heros of the Feywild - new build for Barbarian, Cleric, Bard and Warden - Barbarian is the Dual-role class functioning as a Defender pre-rage and Striker during Rage.
they'll introduce the Pixie as a player race, it will have some form of flight (racial encounter power, or flight speed is unclear)
satyr and hamadryad also declared as upcoming races

after feywild they have no immediate plans to add new classes or races.

Heros of the Plane Below - elemental themed material, including an Elemental Sorc build and an elementalist Wizard build. possibly bringing in some of the Arabian style (Djinn, Efreet etc)

not sure what else but thought I'd pass along what I remembered :)

Post subject: Re: New builds, classes, races announced at GenCon
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:08 pm 

*SIgh*...

I may be in the minority here, but I would love to see some more races in the "elemental" book. I also want more gnomes. Definitely in the minority with the gnome thing.

;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:51 pm 

There was a small bit of info on the Pixie and its flying ability in the weekly Q&A column for DnD on the Wizards site a week ago (Rule of Three 9-19-11).

The question being answered had more to do with the design impact and game balance concerns of being able to fly from level 1 than anything, but it does mention one aspect of the pixie's flight ability. That is that the Pixie has an altitude limit of 1 square. Which, as they point out, means that while a Pixie might be able to avoid some things, like difficult terrain, there are other obstacles, like tall walls and cliffs that will still be an issue.

From the way they say this stuff, I also get the feeling that their flight ability may be a racial feature, and not an encounter or daily power. If it was an encounter power that lasted for a turn, like many of the lower level utilities that give flight, there would be no need for an altitude limit. If it was a daily that lasted for a full encounter, I don't know if they would be so concerned about being able to avoid difficult terrain. But if its a permanently active ability, it makes sense.

And LordPatsy, I know how you feel, in some respects. Gnomes definitely should be there. I also feel disappointed that their plans for the elemental power source currently don't seem to include any new classes, and are going to focus on new builds for pre-existing classes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:32 pm 

One thing to note about the Altitude limit - unless there is another mechanical feature we havent been told about, the Pixie can fly as high as they like, they just can't end their turn more than 1 square off thwe ground without falling. We also don't know if it'll be clumsy, normal, or hover styled flight (my guess is normal but its possible it's hover) so a pixie equiped with some of the anti-falling gear (ring of feather fall, safewing amulet etc) could reasonably ignore the altitude limit consistently. though it would cost loot to do it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:31 pm 

Botanicus wrote:
One thing to note about the Altitude limit - unless there is another mechanical feature we havent been told about, the Pixie can fly as high as they like, they just can't end their turn more than 1 square off thwe ground without falling. We also don't know if it'll be clumsy, normal, or hover styled flight (my guess is normal but its possible it's hover) so a pixie equiped with some of the anti-falling gear (ring of feather fall, safewing amulet etc) could reasonably ignore the altitude limit consistently. though it would cost loot to do it

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not worried about flight at all. I'm sure WotC will handle it well, and with so many races that can turn into something else/disappear, and the power level in general of 4E, I don't think it will be a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:02 am 

I'm definately willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there are some concerns to be had over flight.

as it is, my campaign world already excludes some races (Wilden, shardmind, Thri-kreen) so I dont mind excluding a few more if they dont really fit the environment