It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:20 am

Post subject: Re: D&D 5E?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:28 pm 

I think that Penny Arcade comic pretty much sums up the impossibility of the task ahead. They are trying to create a rule set for a generation that doesn't like to be told what to do and hates following rules.

It seems like half the rules written are set up to defend against those that want to get around the other half of the rules.

If they do manage to get a 5e out, I hope it will be written for people who actually want to play the game and ignore those that seek to abuse and skirt around the rules as some sort of meta game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 am 

One thing to remember is 5e's goal is to tailor to any gaming groups DnD tastes, from 1e through 4e. The way they are trying to design 5e is to distill 5e down to the common denominator from all prior editions. This allows everyone to start with a basic ruleset that maintains the feel of DnD, no matter what edition was your preference.

From that basic ruleset, there is a modular design to add in the pieces you want. For instance, if you liked the skills/feats of 3e, there will likely be a module for you to take those features onto your game. If you liked the daily/encounter/at-will powers of 4e, then you can tack that on.

Its all modular design above the basic ruleset, so you can dial in the game experience you prefer. I would assume, using no modules, the game would play very similar to a 1e/2e game, with enhancements to allow all the modules to plug in.

It is a huge undertaking and if you are really into a prior edition, than 5e will not likely be something you would care about. But, if you would like a game that would take the best parts from several editions, than 5e can support that type of play.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:16 pm 

When I hear "modules", I think "independent products we'll sell in addition to the core rulebook". I really hope the "modules" in this "modular design" are more like appendices in the core PHB/DMG, like Appendix A: Grid-based combat, Appendix B: Non-weapon proficiencies, etc.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:10 pm 

Its a business, so they need to print books. While I think some smaller, but critical modules will be part of the core rules, I think we are pretty much assured to see a separate books for additional modules.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:26 pm 

deek wrote:
One thing to remember is 5e's goal is to tailor to any gaming groups DnD tastes, from 1e through 4e. The way they are trying to design 5e is to distill 5e down to the common denominator from all prior editions. This allows everyone to start with a basic ruleset that maintains the feel of DnD, no matter what edition was your preference.

From that basic ruleset, there is a modular design to add in the pieces you want. For instance, if you liked the skills/feats of 3e, there will likely be a module for you to take those features onto your game. If you liked the daily/encounter/at-will powers of 4e, then you can tack that on.

Its all modular design above the basic ruleset, so you can dial in the game experience you prefer. I would assume, using no modules, the game would play very similar to a 1e/2e game, with enhancements to allow all the modules to plug in.

It is a huge undertaking and if you are really into a prior edition, than 5e will not likely be something you would care about. But, if you would like a game that would take the best parts from several editions, than 5e can support that type of play.

This will sell well to those who wish to cherry pick what they want in their game. Whether or not that's possible, I just don't know. I am extremely dubious when someone or something is supposed to appeal to all. Trying to please everyone & ending up pleasing no one and all that. :roll:

Also, it will be hard to convince people of previous editions that they need this version of create their version of D&D. I mean pulling things from 1e to 2e is simple & there are a lot of resources to help people take things from 3e/3.5e/3.75e and make them compatible.

The only hurdle that I see is needing help making 4e backwards compatible ; which has been a problem from the launch of 4e & the feeling of alienation by a number of gamers.

WoTC is walking a difficult path & if this new edition comes off as simply the next iteration of rule books to make money, things will go badly for them.

PR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:19 pm 

deek wrote:
Its a business, so they need to print books. While I think some smaller, but critical modules will be part of the core rules, I think we are pretty much assured to see a separate books for additional modules.
So instead of the core 3 books (PHB, DMG, MM) that all recent editions have started with, they'll have to immediately publish a double handful different 'core' books from day 1 to incorporate all the modules they'll want us to buy upon release (PHB basic rules, PHB for the 4E people they're trying to keep, PHB with the modules they're hoping will get the 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder crowd to return, etc, etc).

Lovely.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:33 am 

Possibly.

I would expect them to have the core ruleset complete and probably several of the most wanted modules either part of the core books (which can be expanded upon later) or separate books at release.

Granted, it may be very similar to the rulebooks development cycle in 4e. We got the core books to start (but with issues, which should hopefully be resolved in 5e launch), but you didn't have all the classes, races, feats and powers...those came in batches later on. They've always come in batches, later on, for as long as I can remember...

It is a lofty plan, which is why they have been very upfront about getting "us" involved. There is supposed to be a lot more open playtesting and reception to feedback. It could be a couple years (hopefully, at least that) before they will be ready to print final core books, all the while, testing and tweaking, not so dissimilar from Pathfinder.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:00 pm 

Khime wrote:
My main concern is how much support there will continue to be for the online tools. Do I continue to pay for my monthly subscription to D&D Insider to get access to my 'library' of Dragon and Dungeon magazines and articles, knowing that eventually new issues will stop having relevant content for 4E? Or do I cancel, and not have access to those old issues for my 4E games? Technically once my subscription expires, I'm not supposed to keep any 'offline' copies of that stuff...

Same thing's threatening to happen with XBox 360, PS3 and Wii. Why I always buy hard-copies of games. Also why I like to limit my current 4E experience to the materials I have. I don't want to know what it's like to "miss" anything I "had" at one point, that could get taken away from me. Technically whatever... if I were you and paying for all that stuff, I'd be creating offline copies of everything. If they were fair at all, this is what would happen: 5E would come out and do its thing for a whole year before official 4E online support would end, at which point, all 4E online content should become free-for-all, public domain content. But we'll see...

Khime wrote:
At this point, though, all we can really do is wait and see, and also lend our voices to the feedback process.

Word... Hopefully once it gets closer, we'll have plenty of news coverage on this site about how to get involved and stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:17 pm 

GoliathAssassin84 wrote:
Word... Hopefully once it gets closer, we'll have plenty of news coverage on this site about how to get involved and stuff.
That's the thing, though... this is dnd4.com, not 'all things D&D'.com, so I'm not really sure how much coverage of 5E we'll have here, or if Skibybadoowap even wants this to become a 4E&5E forum at all.

With that said, there's an entire Wiki about D&D Next set up over on EnWorld that has all of the information released to date, and the public playtest for D&D Next begins on May 24th (8 days away!!!!), at which time you will be able to download and test the basic rules directly from Wizards of the Coast.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:48 pm 

I agree with Khime about keeping this forum focused. There will always be things to say about 4e and people who are starting 4e for the first time.