It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Post subject: D&D 5E?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:38 am 

Are they planning a 5th edition? Here is a New York Times article that I came across.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/arts/ ... input.html

Post subject: Re: D&D 5E?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:44 pm 

Indeed they are.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20120109

Wonder if dnd5.com has already been registered...yes, yes it has. As a gag site.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:32 pm 

This looks like very very early planning, although looks can be deceiving.

Remember - There are people out there right now having a great time playing 2nd Edition. 4e does not become obsolete the way America Online becomes obsolete.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 am 

Emily Dickinson wrote:
Remember - There are people out there right now having a great time playing 2nd Edition. 4e does not become obsolete the way America Online becomes obsolete.
This is very true - just because a new edition is being published does not suddenly invalidate the older edition(s).

However, if you want to participate in WotC-sponsored events, such as D&D Encounters at your local game store, or anything they do at GenCon, or any of their 'Living' campaigns, or be a 'sanctioned' Game Master, you'll have to convert. Even non-official events, such as a local gaming convention, tends to use the current edition of a game as the assumed 'default', unless they're explicitly running a 'retro gaming' event.

My main concern is how much support there will continue to be for the online tools. Do I continue to pay for my monthly subscription to D&D Insider to get access to my 'library' of Dragon and Dungeon magazines and articles, knowing that eventually new issues will stop having relevant content for 4E? Or do I cancel, and not have access to those old issues for my 4E games? Technically once my subscription expires, I'm not supposed to keep any 'offline' copies of that stuff...

At this point, though, all we can really do is wait and see, and also lend our voices to the feedback process.

I will often hit Submit and then think of something more to say, or a better way to say it. So don't be surprised if a post I made 5 minutes ago isn't the same as the one you think you're replying to.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 am 

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/01/11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:56 pm 

Khime wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:
My main concern is how much support there will continue to be for the online tools. Do I continue to pay for my monthly subscription to D&D Insider to get access to my 'library' of Dragon and Dungeon magazines and articles, knowing that eventually new issues will stop having relevant content for 4E? Or do I cancel, and not have access to those old issues for my 4E games? Technically once my subscription expires, I'm not supposed to keep any 'offline' copies of that stuff...

This exactly.

I just hope D&D5 takes them 5 years from now to complete.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:41 pm 

Khashul wrote:
Khime wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:

This exactly.

I just hope D&D5 takes them 5 years from now to complete.

Sadly, I don't think Hasbro likes the idea of a 5 year plan. ;-)

The D&D brand is at a crossroads & how WoTC handles this new endeavor will be crucial to whether or not the brand not only survives but thrives going forward.

I think we will see a half edition change (i.e., 4.5e vs. 5e - not counting essentials as that half edition obviously) as anything else would probably fracture the fan/customer base even more.

Puck Robin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:03 pm 

DnD XP is in Fort Wayne, IN (where I live) next week (25-29th) and they have a 1st level adventure being run with the first iteration of 5th edition. I am seriously thinking about trying to get a spot and play. Granted, everyone has to sign an NDA, so I won't be talking about any details if I get to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if by GenCon 2013, there is a new edition out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:00 pm 

deek wrote:
DnD XP is in Fort Wayne, IN (where I live) next week (25-29th) and they have a 1st level adventure being run with the first iteration of 5th edition. I am seriously thinking about trying to get a spot and play. Granted, everyone has to sign an NDA, so I won't be talking about any details if I get to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if by GenCon 2013, there is a new edition out.

I think GenCon 2013 is a good estimate & I'm very curious to read what the early version of 5e is like. While I think this is for the best, I would like to see some sort of support for those of us that liked the current edition. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 pm 

Take it for what you will, but my group is going to start up a new DnD 2e campaign. Since 4e came out, we've played in a campaign that went 1-21 with normal experience rewards, a campaign that went 1-25 with accelerated experience and we're currently playing in a Dark Sun campaign (1-3, so far).

I am thinking 2e will give us more bang during the bi-weekly 4-5 hour game sessions, without so much structure around role-playing and social interaction, random and more "wow" magic items and much less reliance on strategic battlemaps during combat.

4e is decent and I highly recommend it for first-time DnDers, but it has run its course in our gaming group. We'll keep an eye on the next iteration and explore is 2e is going to meet our needs. We all have fond memories of 2e games, so we'll see if going back is worth it.