It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:10 am

Post subject: Your top 5 favorite things about 4th edition.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

What are your top 5 favorite things about 4th edition?

Post subject: Re: Top 5 favorite things about 4th edition.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:55 pm 

1. Dragonborn are awesome. I like their breath effect specifically.
2. Fighters get to actually DO stuff! And they are good at high levels.
3. The ability the warlord gets to make another player attack is very cool.
4. Marks. Some people don't like em, I think they are a neat mechanic.
5. Kobolds are nasty now. It's nice that monsters have unique abilities instead of just a bunch of stats.

Post subject: Re: Your top 5 favorite things about 4th edition.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:10 pm 

*Drumroll*

1. Powers. So, Many.. It's like I'm at a Vegas buffet, I see so much I want to just take for myself. Every class has it's own 'spell list' of sorts, this has got to be in my opinion the #1 best addition to the game. Each class is very unique, giving each their own very distinct flavor. Also with the new At-Will, Encounter, Daily system keeping track of what you have per day has never been easier.

2. Add 1/2 your level to your roll. Such a simple method of increasing strength of a character with just simple math that stacks up over time. My players haven't quite noticed the potential for this yet, but I'm sure they will in time...

3. Monster Manual. Has anyone really just taken a 3e/5 MM and compared it to the new 4e one? I can't even see how I ever used the old one. It's just a WALL OF TEXT compared to the new and far less cluttered MM. Not to mention the very clearly defined and unique monster abilities make combat quicker and far more interesting.

4. The DM's Best Friend, Page 42 in the DMG. I'm able to construct basically anything I wish on the fly with this table while keeping to balanced DCs and Damage. 42 is truly the answer to life, the universe, and... Everything!

5. Character Advancement Chart, Page 29 in the PHB. Simple, clear, and always knowing exactly what you get regardless of class? Why on earth didn't we have this before? Now when a player asks "Hey, what do I get at level 3?" I can just tell them exactly what they get.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:50 pm 

1) There's a lot less mechanics getting in the way of my stories and characters
2) Warlords are a FANTASTIC addition to any party
3) The challenge of finding ways around having no Defender
4) I *WANT* to learn how to DM
5) My gaming group is dying to get another session in every week (normally just one night but we keep shooting for two)

6) We forget to ask for XP a lot of times because we enjoy the Skill Challenges too much (seriously, we're usually more worried about the plot related outcome than the XP gain from a skill challenge)
7) The new rulebooks are pretty (good eye candy, nice layouts, well written)
8) It's easier to get new people into RPGs with 4e and it's easier to get storytellers and actor types into the game (always good assets, those types of people)

Sorry I went over ;)

Kakumei_keahi wrote:
4. The DM's Best Friend, Page 42 in the DMG. I'm able to construct basically anything I wish on the fly with this table while keeping to balanced DCs and Damage. 42 is truly the answer to life, the universe, and... Everything!

Allow me to connect that with a quote from the latest Dragon issue's article by James Wyatt:
James Wyatt wrote:
I often don't use a DM screen when I'm running a game session -- it's just a barrier between me and the battle grid, which is where the action is. There are two things, though, that make me look forward to getting my hands on a 4th Edition DM Screen: First is the awesome art, and second is the table that appears on page 42 of the DMG: Difficulty Class and Damage by Level. Having that table easily accessible in front of me might mean that I never again have to open a rulebook in the middle of the game. It's possible I'm overstating the case, but that table does excite me.

I agree with you and Mr Wyatt, btw. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:14 am 

Favorite 5 things? Well, so far, looking at it from a DM standpoint, what I like best so far:

1) Monster Roles - As much as it is nice to have PC roles, being able to know exactly the intent of each critter and making a fun and effective challenge without so much guesswork is a nice change.

2) De-emphasis of magic items. About time! Every magic item set forth so far is no deal breaker like before. They are still beneficial, but they take a back seat to the character powers now.

3) Character levels: One level progression for every class, and no "HP and skills ONLY" levels. This change is about as nice as what 3.5 did with getting everyone on the same XP scale.

4) Magic: Taking away vancian magic. Even if a few powers are still only once a day, you still can keep casting that encounter level after that 5 minute rest.

5) Multiclassing! It is no longer the best way to selectively nerf your character! The system takes a real approach to you having been trained one way, and dabbling in another.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:58 am 

In no particular order...

• Feats and Skills- They're slimmed down and simplified or all around improved to make their uses much more apparent and understandable.
  • Combat Casting and the Healing Mechanic - I really like this idea of healing surges and second wind, allowing everyone to save their butts for one more round to get a heal from a healer. No longer having to memorize umpteen million heal spells just to blow them all after combat and being forced to rest. And I can do it in combat making combat much more enjoyable.
  • Powers - I like that everyone has powers, even the Melees. I'm sad to see a lot of "RP" spells disappear, like "mud to stone" and the like, but I'll deal.
  • Scaling and ability scores - I like how 1/2 your level is added into your defensive modifiers as well as skills. It allows for your character to continue to scale as you gain more power and since it's a straight forward method, the game feels like it's been fairly well thought out for balance reasons.
  • Players Handbook - I very much love how this book was redesigned from what feels like a much more usability standpoint. All powers are in the class section, allowing me to find what I'm looking for faster without having to dog ear pages in the back of the book to look up spell powers. Everything is "right there".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:15 am 

1) Simplified Alignments - None of us really put too much weight in them anyways, so its nice that they are really basic now.

2) Saving Throws - No more weird tables or funky advancement, its basically just a 50/50 shot each round. Very nice!

3) Multi-classing Feats - Just really awesome. While you don't get the full effect of another class, you get enough of a taste to be fun. And there isn't some huge downside to deal with.

4) Roles - I love the fact that each class falls into a pretty specific role. Group combat is so much more dynamic and being able to strategize each round with your allies is great!

5) Balanced Encounters - 4E gives the DM an easy way to balance an encounter and by doing that, each combat is a challenge, but in a good way. We don't have really quick or no-win situations and each combat, whether its just monsters, monsters and traps, skill challenges or a combination...its just a lot of fun and feels a lot more fulfilling.

Post subject: Oookay- top 5....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:32 am 

1. Powers

Pro: Everyone has powers. This is so awesome! Fighters are not generic anymore. The rogues powers are killers....

Con: The core PHB has powers, but we're waiting for more variety of powers from WotC.

2. Feats and Skills

Pro: There are lots and lots of feats and more opportunities to choose them. The new skill system is wonderful too. Specially the fact that intelligence is not a god-stat for skills anymore is very welcome indeed.

Con: A few feats are for advanced players and may be less useful for new players like me, who still have to learn the art of character development. And yah, we need a lot more feats.... ;)

3. Items over Abilities

Pro: In 3.5, the gameplay depended a lot upon magic items. In 4e, the focus has shifted upon ability scores. This makes character building pivotal and helps in roleplaying.

Con: The disappearance of scrolls and similar use and throw items has hurt me. Also my most favorite skill 'Use Magical Items' is gone. :cry:

4. DMs & Roleplaying

Pro: With less focus on details of races and classes, 4e leaves most stuff to imagination of players and DMs. This gives very liberal gameplay.

Con: Some DMs.... (I'm not naming :roll: ) show us the excuse of absence of such details and tortures us with new rules.... :? We need more books on details....

5. The Fact that I'm Newbie

Pro: I was scared that I'd be neglected and tortured :D as the new player. But as 4e is being released just when I'm coming to DnD makes us all new players (kinda). That spares me a bit.

Con: No cons here. I'm living in DnD and enjoying it every moment.

Thanks for creating and enriching this forum everyone.... :geek:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:26 pm 

Players Handbook: Especially chapters 4, 5, and 6. Loads of information about classes, skills, and feats. Your imagination is the limit to creating an epic hero.

Character and Monster Roles: What a nice job they have done in 4E with roles. It helps players and DM’s alike to have a challenging and tactical battle. Just enough order in the chaos that is war.

Skill Challenges: Great addition. I really enjoy how this is done in the game. Makes characters be more than just savages and barbarians. As a DM (combat DM) I had some difficulty in the past giving role-players a chance to shine. This is a great way to let the players find new and interesting ways to use any skill.

At-will/Encounter/Daily Powers: All these powers really add another dimension to character development. Retraining, Multiclassing, Paragon Paths, character builds, and epic destinies give you just the perfect amount of choices to make one fighter really feel different from another fighter.

4th Edition: Just the fact that this edition is so different from the others. To get together with your friends and family to over come the new adventures. A new way to play a classic game. 4th Edition puts back the Dungeons and Dragons in D&D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:33 pm 

1. Cleave is MUCH better.
2. Warlords. Being able to play frontline chessmaster is awesome!
3. All Stats increasing when you move up a tier. Now even the dump stats go up, meaning we get better overall!
4. Feats every two levels, and three extra feats by 21st level.
5. defenses and rolls gettign better by level - it really seams as if you're getting more powerful when you go up levels