It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Post subject: Re: Fantasy Book series suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:12 pm 

I may be resurrecting an old post here but I noticed that no one has mentioned Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy. Amazing series about an academy of magic. Nor was Karen Miller's Innocent Mage mentioned (Book 1 of the Kingmaker Kingbreaker series).

Both good reads, and ones I've been inspired to reread time and again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:37 am 

One of my altime favourites when it comes to fantasy books is Michael Ende's "The Neverending Story" - the book is sooooo great and even though the first movie was quite ok it just couldn't even come close to how great the book is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:35 pm 

Orin Skullcrusher wrote:
I'm needing a new book series to read. Something light to read before I go to sleep.

Hm. I don't think what I suggest will be "something light to read", then again I'm not 100% sure what you mean with this.

• Otherland series. I published short review on the series here (can't link, see EDIT below). 2+ [on a scale ranging from 1=super to 6=terrible], but definitely not an easy read. 4000+ pages in total.
  • The Dark Tower (Stephen King). I read most of King's work, and didn't like it. It was nice when I was 14, but too simple, too straight, too splatter-horror. The Dark Tower is different: the most ingenious fiction series I've read. The first book (The Gunslinger) is pretty short, read it to see whether you like the style. 1+ on a scale 1-6. 7500+ pages in total, 7 books.
  • Neil Gaiman: my favourite fantasy author (not high fantasy). All books are awesome, but I'd start with one of his best books "Good Omens" (written together with Terry Pratchet). 1+! Plenty of other awesome books (e.g. Neverwhere). Also, read the graphic novel series "The Sandman" (1++, best graphic novels that has been written - and I don't like comics; I wrote a review here [can't link, see EDIT below). Also, I love his two short story collections ("Smoke and Mirrors" is the better one, 1+).
  • "The Eyre Affair", Jasper Fforde (2+). The first book of a series of books. The first two are great, I didn't like the third that much. If you read a lot, you'll enjoy this immensely (special kind of book/reading humour). "Lost in a good book" is the second book of the series (2+ also).
  • "Nebula Awards Showcase 2007": Nebula Award is a very influential price for fantasy/sci-fi short stories. In the 2007 book, you find plenty of great stories.
  • Song of Ice and Fire: yes. 1 to 2, depending on the book. The fifth will be released July this year. 3000+ pages so far.

ta-ta
Eiko

EDIT:
Mr. Forum wrote:
Your message contains too many URLs. The maximum number of URLs allowed is 1.

Bah, can't link the reviews. Oh well, you can find the reviews I wanted to link here.

Emily wrote:
while Sandman is a gorgeously cosmic epic that is one of my favourite anythings ever.

<3
Sometimes I wish English was my native language ... I wanted to express exactly that with my drivel above.

Last edited by Torvon on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:33 pm 

I don't understand your ratings system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:20 pm 

sorry.

1= super awesome
6= totally bad

+= better than the full number
-= worse than the full number