It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Post subject: Feedback from another RPG...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 pm 

Out of curiosity, I have had the opportunity to play Pathfinder 3.5 and I was just curious what the strengths and weaknesses of the game are. I haven't played it yet, nor have I looked at the PHB, but I wanted to get a general feel of the game from a few seasoned players of RPGs. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Feedback from another RPG...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 am 

Pathfinder is basically a power-up for classic D&D3.5, the last version of D&D before 4th edition.

Strengths: Easier to multiclass, you can "stack" weapon/magic item abilities, and, with the old splat books, there are tons of options available.

Weaknesses: It is easier to create utterly lame characters, it includes the old "save or die" stuff, and teher are plenty of things that run severely unbalanced once you pass a certain milestone level.

Despite what some people feel, I don't see that big a difference between 3.5/Pathfinder and 4th edition. IMO, there are more similarities than differences. Makes it difficult for me to understand the folks in the "I love X and hate Y." camps, since they are so similar....

However, there are some differences in approaches, and terminology that can cause someone familiar with one to have some difficulty with the other.

5' step vs shift
Opportunity Attack vs Attack of Opportunity
Flanking vs Combat Advantage

Most of it is terminology, but some is in game play instead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 am 

Pathfinder is much more friendly towards short combats without any maps or miniatures. 4e and Pathfinder are similar if you compare them both to Dogs in the Vineyard or Mind's Eye Theatre, but they do have enough differences that I can certainly understand only liking one.

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend playing many different games with many different groups. Brand loyalty is not a virtue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:54 am 

I agree and disagree on the whole,

Pathfinder and 4e are both derived from earlier editions of DnD, so in that way the share a large base with different perspective putting them as two of the most similar rpgs I'm aware of. That said, they are certainly different enough that I can understand enjoying one and not another.

I also support playing multiple RPGs if you take that as your goal, but I dont find anything wrong with someone who just wants to play DnD. Brand loyalty is can be a virtue depending on what you want or need - for some the brand name offers a level of assurance in quality that may not be there in other games.

While there may be times where brand loyalty may not be a virtue, it is more rarely a vice.

At the end of the day, the game is a game and meant for entertainment. As long as you're enjoying the game - no reason to change. If you're not enjoying it then cast your net wide to make sure you catch something you like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:39 pm 

To clarify my perspective on brand loyalty - There is nothing wrong with being satisfied with a product and feeling no need to become a connoisseur. I buy the same shoes I've always bought, my feet and back feel fine, end of story.

However, if you are attracted at all to game design as an art form, it can be a wonderful experience to see how different game designs contrast with each other, and what one system or another might shine at.

Also, by enjoying a multitude of systems, each on their own merits, it becomes much easier to look realistically at the merits and flaws of your group's preferred system, rather than moving between the extremes of "4e for Life!" versus "WotC has betrayed me and I vow eternal hatred against them!" - not that anyone here is inclined to such hooliganisms.

I fully recognize that plenty of people have barely enough time to play one system (if that!), and never enough funds to afford everything out there, so I stress that diverse system play is an opportunity to be embraced but not a requirement of any sort.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:07 am 

I do agree that having some exposure to different game systems, settings and mechanics is a worthwhile endeavor.

To me, its similar to the 10s of board games I play with a few of my non-DnD friends. Each of them have different mechanics, different playstyles and different rules for winning and having a mental catalogue of each helps us decide and match our mood to what game to play. But that's more a practical application of diversity.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:27 am 

And the weird thing is - it works :) No rules and yet noone is posting any "nono" stuff - and if someone did post something that was borderline and was asked to please remove it it was done so imediately. The people are helpful, nice, friendly and polite ... it kinda scares me that a place like this still exists in the interwebs! :D

We are the pioneers in providing 350-029 - exam - questions