It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:08 am

Post subject: tryed out amazon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:41 pm 

yeah, so i tryed out selling stuff on amazon. i had a few 3.5 premium books collecting dust so i thought, hey why not. also today someone gave two original '83 dnd books part of the basic set and i was like-what am i gonna do with these, so i posted them too.

i don't think i'll use amazon too much but i have a couple of 3.5 books so i might toss those out there plus whatever else i got laying around i don't use.

its not that i don't like 3.5 i mean it was the first edition i played, its just it seems too gritty. well what i mean is it seems the more complicated a game is the more complicated ways there are to die.

i don't mind dying once in awhile but i prefer having enough tricks to throw out when i get to the end to be like last ditch or die like a powerful daily power that could spell victory or defeat.

in 3.5 you rely on simple martial attacks supplemented with magic. in 4e its pretty much the same; you rely on basic attacks and atwills, but you throw out your encounters when the situation calls for them, and have some dailies when you get in tough spots or just want to finnish off a tough baddie.

at least thats how i always figured it. how you guys handle the rationing of your powers? when do you use encounters and dailies?

Post subject: Re: tryed out amazon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:42 am 

Using encounter powers: Every chance you can, depending on the power. They're generally more powerful than at-will attacks, but often have extra features that make them worth holding onto for certain circumstances (provide movement effects, or add temp HPs, etc).

Dailies: we have 5 characters, with 4 dailies each, and expect 3 encounters between extended rests...that's about 20 daily powers between us, and divided by 3 we plan on using 1-2 dailies per character per battle, again depending on the circumstances.

Our standard motto for most things is "there's no point dying with 'em", which applies to action points, dailies, healing surges, etc. Different circumstances require different tactics of course, but ending an encounter or a day's adventuring with dead characters and unused powers or items that could have saved them is generally bad play in our view.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:21 pm 

sounds good to me. encounters i usually throw out almost every other turn depending on positioning.

but howd you end up with four dailies isn't it three max or are you counting the paragon daily cause then i'd have to ask what level is your party and more importantly what level did you start at or again much more importantly how long have you been playing your current campaign?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:35 pm 

We have three campaigns actually (2 x DnD 4e and 1 Ars Magica 4e), and take turns running each one for 6 or so months at a time.

One DnD campaign (the one I run) has the players at L20, the other at L24, so the 4th Daily is indeed the Paragon one.

We've been pretty much playing since 4e came out, starting a L1, and playing one night a week (or thereabouts).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:58 am 

hey i'm new here, just looking for a small forum dedicated to 4e, hope i found a friendly place to share my enjoyment. i did come into dnd through 3.5 but i prefer 4e and have most of the main books, almost thirty of 'em.

Last edited by Aliraza05 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:08 am 

Aliraza05 wrote:
hey i'm new here, just looking for a small forum dedicated to 4e, hope i found a friendly place to share my enjoyment. i did come into dnd through 3.5 but i prefer 4e and have most of the main books, almost thirty of 'em.

Welcome. I'm new here, too. I think our stories are similar. Probably should post our comments on a different thread, however.