A sneak peak at the the information detailed in Worlds and Monsters preview book:
The Far Realm is responsible for monstrosities that haunt the universe. All aberrations are linked to it. The Far Realm is said to seep into other worlds sometimes, overlaying the landscape with an unnerving sense of dread, even distorting it, and tainting the flora and fauna. Strange new creatures emerge from this polluted reality and insane practitioners sometimes willfully merge the natural and the obscene.
A creatures type is now based on their Origin. Humanoids (type) with an origin of fey (eladrin). Aberration (mind flayer), elemental (archon) , natural (man). Aberration is not a type, it’s an origin.
The Temple of Elemental Evil is mentioned as a Location of Note. This section is said to contain future adventuring locations.
- 1.5 pages of information
- Mind flayer Same as the previous edition just with fewer powers. Mind blast and dominate are each renewable once per encounter powers.
- Tentacle lash and grab are basic attacks that can lead to situational powers such as “bore into the brain,” “Thrall,” and “Interpose thrall.”
- Easier to run.
- Dragons will have a different color based on their role. Artillery is represented by blue dragons, brutes are white, and soldiers are red.
- Dragons are solo creatures that get lots of actions on their turn (more than other monster) and also lots of actions when it’s not their turn (tail slap and the green poison dragon ability if you get close)
- Dragons have fewer abilities, EG the oldest black dragon has only 5 possible standard actions, some consisting of unique magical abilities (taken from the wizard’s spell list
- Dragons won’t be forced into specific alignments or roles. Their motives can range from their base: chromatic, wild, metallic, and like to be in control.
- Iron and Adamantine replace brass and bronze dragons.
- Chromatic dragons grow in raw elemental power and as they age they gain new powers appropriate to their element. An ancient red dragon’s breath weapon “can scour the fire resistance right off you.”
- Green dragons are back to breathing poison.
- Huge versions of giants are called Titans which are closely tied to the elements. They are also much more powerful.
- There will be lots of variety between standard giants.
- Trolls and ogres will be considered giants while ettins won’t necessarily have the giant type.
- Now considered easier to get to
- Mentioned are Drow, Troglodytes, Mind Flayers, Kuo-Toas (aboleth servant/worshippers), aboleths, myconids
- Vault of the Drow is mentioned as an Underdark Location of Note
- The inhabitants will include centaurs, dark ones, eladrins, elves, fomorians, firbolgs, hags, treants, unicorns, red caps, quicklings, pixies will-o’wisps, yeth hounds
- There is a fey reflection of the underdark, ruled over by fomorians
- Gnomes may be a possible fey-dwelling race
- There is also mention of the Isle of Dread
- Shadowfell is inhabited by the Shadar-kai.
- Shadowfell is the merger of the Negative Energy Plane and Plane of Shadow. The annoyance of visiting these planes was also removed.
- Shadow is a power source. Involved with stealth, illusion, dread, devastating enemies, and necrotic energy.
- The undead have been updated. Animus will provide vitality and mobility as a companion to the soul and the body. Shadows are the animus freed of body and soul.
- The book explains resurrection and reincarnation
- D&D and the Birth of a New Edition (2 pages)
- The Process of Re-Creation (4 pages) – reimagining monsters for 4e
- The Setting of D&D (4 pages) – the Points of Light setting, and how it came about
- The New Cosmology (2 pages) – an overview of the new cosmology and the end of the great wheel
- The World (8 pages) – Includes sections Fallen Empires, Locations of Note, The End of Human Dominion
- Dragons (6 pages)
- Giants (2 pages)
- The Underdark (4 pages)
- The Feywild (8 pages)
- The ShadowFell (8 pages)
- Art Gallery (1 page)
- The Elemental Chaos (12 pages) – Elementals, Locations of Note, and the Abyss
- The Astral Sea (10 pages) – includes The Gods, Angels, Devils
- The Far Realm (6 pages) – includes Aberrant Creatures and Mind Flayers
- Staff Thoughts on 4th Edition (13 pages)
- The Next Word (1 page)
Excerpts from wizards:
You can find more information about this product on our Product Release Dates page.